Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduling with frequency "1 day"

RemiA
Level 1

Hi,

I'm working on Netbackup 7.1.0.3

I wonder if Netbackup has the same behavoiur if I set "1 day" in a frequency-based Schedule instead of "24 hour" ?

For example, if I've opened a window each day between 6PM and 5AM, and my last backup started at 10PM and ended at 11PM, due to device availability:

Will the next backup going on at 10PM, 11 PM or 6PM next day ?

Thanks for your advice,

Remi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

11PM next day

1 days means 24 hours between backup - so you will see "backup window creep" where the backup will run later and later for each failure. Set instead frequency to e.g. 16 hours instead of 1 day - Then all backup will start when the backup window opens at 6PM.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

11PM next day

1 days means 24 hours between backup - so you will see "backup window creep" where the backup will run later and later for each failure. Set instead frequency to e.g. 16 hours instead of 1 day - Then all backup will start when the backup window opens at 6PM.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Every 1 day and every 24 hours are exactly the same. 
The current backup frequency means that your backup will only be attempted at 10PM tonight.

I agree with Nicolai - reduce the frequency to overcome 'schedule creeping'.

See David Chapa's article about Frequency Scheduling:

NetBackup Frequency Based Scheduling

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I also agree with Nicolai ...  

It's a bit confusing, but best bet is to set the frequency of the backup to be more often than you want the  backup to run.

Eg You want / Freq

1 week / 1 day

1 day / 8 hours

1 month / 1 week

that way, you avoid the schedule 'creep'.  The backup will only run when the window is open, so there is no disadvantage in doing this.

M

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

My 2p:

if I've opened a window each day between 6PM and 5AM

.... then I would set my frequency to 12 hours - i.e. more than the backup window so there's no likelihood of the job running twice in the same window, but less than the time between the start of consecutive windows (essentially the 'daily' frequency you want your backups to run).

This means that there is little opportunity, if any, for 'schedule creep' and that the backup is *always* 'ready' to run when the next window opens.

Additionally, if you know that *all* your backups could actually *start* before, say 10pm, I would go even further and reduce the backup window *and* the frequency further. (By *start* I mean actively writing not just queued).

This potentially has the added advantage that, if a scheduled backup fails, you could re-run it manually the following morning without fear of it impacting on the start time of the next scheduled backup.

I got in the habit of dropping my frequency as low as possible following guidlines similar to those proposed by Martin.