Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scratch Media

H_Sharma
Level 6

Hello Experts,

I need to know about the scratch media.

We had 10 media in the morning and in the evening we had 2.

So just need to know how can we know how many media were in the morning on scratch pool and how much got used today.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RonCaplinger
Level 6

Run a report on the scratch tape quantity every day at the same time, and keep track of how many new scratch tapes you add into the library.  There's no report of how many tapes were used by NetBackup in the OpsCenter reports.  NetBackup doesn't always fill every tape until it is full, so you can't really use the tape full indication that a new scratch tape was used.

Is there a particular reason you need to know this?  We might be able to offer alternative advice if we know what you are trying to do.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RonCaplinger
Level 6

Run a report on the scratch tape quantity every day at the same time, and keep track of how many new scratch tapes you add into the library.  There's no report of how many tapes were used by NetBackup in the OpsCenter reports.  NetBackup doesn't always fill every tape until it is full, so you can't really use the tape full indication that a new scratch tape was used.

Is there a particular reason you need to know this?  We might be able to offer alternative advice if we know what you are trying to do.

H_Sharma
Level 6

Just to keep track.

We send manual report daily 3 times but i could see the discrepency.

Morning shift we had 8 tapes in afternoon 16 in evening 8.

So I just need it for audit purpose. 

RonCaplinger
Level 6

This is the command we use in our Linux script to monitor scratch tapes on a daily basis:

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmquery -pn NB_Scratch -b |grep 'TLD      0' | grep 'HCART3' | wc -l

I believe the Windows "find" command is similar to "grep", not sure if there is an equivalent for the "wc" (wordcount) command.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
If you have the list of Scratch media-ids in the morning, you can run Tapes written report for the hours that have passed. Compare the 2 reports.

H_Sharma
Level 6

thats the problem what we have is only count :(

Marianne
Level 6
Run available_media every morning and save output to a file. This script is in netbackup\bin\goodies folder.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Alternatively, get a few more tapes.

Appreciate that you are doing a good job keeping track of things, but if you have to manage tape levels to that extent, you need a handful more, so that you only have to keep an eye on it once a week ...

You spend lots of money on servers/ hardware / support, but have only a few scratch tapes - that to me does not make any sense.

H_Sharma
Level 6

Ok thats fine :)

could you pls let me know the command to check what was the last pool of the tape?

Marianne
Level 6
nbemmcmd -listmedia -mediaid (media-id )