cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scratch Pool

technimdaxviii
Level 5

I'm not aware what is scratch pool mean until I hit this  feature in other backup software. Upon checking, empty tapes were kept on the same pool after data expiration.

Is it possible to change this setting, to move every tape to scratch pool when data got expired?

Regards,

J

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

That is correct and commonly used by backup admins. (Also described in NBU Admin Guide I.)

Scratch pool does not exist by default in NBU. It needs to be created and marked with 'scratch' attribute.

Tapes will be returned to scratch if they came from the scratch pool before being changed to a backup pool.

So, it you did not have a scratch pool from day 1, you will need to move expired (unassingned) tapes to the scratch pool as a once-off exercise. You will need to do this for some time on a daily basis until all unassigned tapes have been moved to the scratch pool once. 

You can find NBU Admin Guide I for currently supported version in Handy NBU Links in my signature.
There are also a number of Related topics on the right of the screen.

View solution in original post

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Please also check the Netbackup setting "RETURN_UNASSIGNED_MEDIA_TO_SCRATCH_POOL" is set to yes

How to check/verify the setting is described in the tech note below:

https://www.veritas.com/docs/100038765"

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne

That is correct and commonly used by backup admins. (Also described in NBU Admin Guide I.)

Scratch pool does not exist by default in NBU. It needs to be created and marked with 'scratch' attribute.

Tapes will be returned to scratch if they came from the scratch pool before being changed to a backup pool.

So, it you did not have a scratch pool from day 1, you will need to move expired (unassingned) tapes to the scratch pool as a once-off exercise. You will need to do this for some time on a daily basis until all unassigned tapes have been moved to the scratch pool once. 

You can find NBU Admin Guide I for currently supported version in Handy NBU Links in my signature.
There are also a number of Related topics on the right of the screen.

Hi Marianne,

Thank you for the response. You mean, I need to create a new pool and ticking "Scratch Pool" attribute?

2017-10-30_12-21-14_create_pool.jpg

After creating the scratch pool, I need to move all expired tapes to the scratch pool. Is it correct?

Regards,

J

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Please also check the Netbackup setting "RETURN_UNASSIGNED_MEDIA_TO_SCRATCH_POOL" is set to yes

How to check/verify the setting is described in the tech note below:

https://www.veritas.com/docs/100038765"

Yes,

put checkmark on that box & mention pool name "scratch_pool"

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Yes, check mark the "scratch pool" option and move unassigned media to the scratch pool.

If RETURN_UNASSIGNED_MEDIA_TO_SCRATCH_POOL is set, Netbackup should do that automatic for media to be release in the future.

Marianne

I agree with @Nicolai
The  "RETURN_UNASSIGNED_MEDIA_TO_SCRATCH_POOL" setting is supposed to be the default, but good idea to confirm.

Please also note the "RETURN" part of the setting - a tape can only be RETURNED to Scratch. Not moved to Scratch if it has not been there as a start.

technimdaxviii
Level 5

Thank you all for the response. I've validated the value for RETURN_UNASSIGNED_MEDIA_TO_SCRATCH_POOL and as you've mentioned it was already set to default, YES. New pool was created and expired tapes were move manually to scratch.