cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scratch pool issue

Tabriz
Level 5

Hi Dear Friends,

in netbackup backup policy doesn't work because  there is not enough  space in tape tool (status 96) But there are scratch pools.Otherwise NBU doesn't use them.What could be reason? 

Thanks

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

X2
   VIP   

Your message is a bit cryptic and is lacking details. What I understood is that you are getting status 96 for jobs going to tape and there are tapes in scratch pool. Do correct, if I misunderstood.

If you configure a scratch pool (there is only one scratch pool, I'm not sure why you write scartch pools in plural), NetBackup will use a tape from that pool if there is not tape available in the pool for which the policy is configured. When a tape becomes unassigned, it is automatically moved to Scratch pool. Ref: Scratch Pool.

Have you assigned Scratch pool in any or your backup policies?

View solution in original post

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please show us output of 'available_media'.
If the output is too large to fit on one screen, please send output to media.txt and upload the file.

You need to check which STU is reporting the error, then check the density of the STU.
In available_media output, check if correct density is in Scratch pool and if the media is in a robot where the media server has access to it.

quebek
   VIP    Certified

hey

From these PICs I can tell that none of your scratch tapes is inside robot. In the column robot type there is NONE (and if it is in should be TLD - if it is in such robot type) - which means the tapes are outside of robot. Please put these into the library and run inventory. Or if these are already in library - run inventory, if still not seen play with robot tapes assignment rules - maybe you have some partitioning out there...

10 REPLIES 10

X2
   VIP   

Your message is a bit cryptic and is lacking details. What I understood is that you are getting status 96 for jobs going to tape and there are tapes in scratch pool. Do correct, if I misunderstood.

If you configure a scratch pool (there is only one scratch pool, I'm not sure why you write scartch pools in plural), NetBackup will use a tape from that pool if there is not tape available in the pool for which the policy is configured. When a tape becomes unassigned, it is automatically moved to Scratch pool. Ref: Scratch Pool.

Have you assigned Scratch pool in any or your backup policies?

Marianne

Please show us output of 'available_media'.
If the output is too large to fit on one screen, please send output to media.txt and upload the file.

You need to check which STU is reporting the error, then check the density of the STU.
In available_media output, check if correct density is in Scratch pool and if the media is in a robot where the media server has access to it.

This is the text 

this is the text

this is the storage unit picture

quebek
   VIP    Certified

hey

From these PICs I can tell that none of your scratch tapes is inside robot. In the column robot type there is NONE (and if it is in should be TLD - if it is in such robot type) - which means the tapes are outside of robot. Please put these into the library and run inventory. Or if these are already in library - run inventory, if still not seen play with robot tapes assignment rules - maybe you have some partitioning out there...

Marianne

@Tabriz 

As per @quebek , none of your Scratch tapes are in the robot.

You need to locate them, insert into the robot and run Inventory.

NetBackup can only use the tapes if they are in the robot.

I have tried to explain in your other post how to monitor tape usage:
https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Last-24h-failed-jobs/m-p/886411

Genericus
   VIP   

There was a bug in certain version of NetBackup that if you fooled around with your pool definition, you could mess up your designated scratch pool.
This command will list my scratch pool in unix:

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmpool -list_scratch

This command will set pool "scratch_pool" to be desgnated as a scratch pool:

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmpool -set_scratch scratch_pool

But, if there are no tapes in the robot, that is your problem...

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS