cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scratch pool

Tabriz
Level 5

Hi Dear Community.

I have a question.is the best practice, define all tape to the scratch pool?

Best regards,

Tabriz

13 REPLIES 13

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

yes, it is.

I use dedicated tapes (3 tapes), only for catalog backups

@StefanosM 

Thank you for the quick response!

There are some problems related to backups (duplication). There are archives weekly catalog daily pools is the possible to define the archives and weekly pools to a scratch pool? is it possible how l can do it?.

Thanks

Mouse

The scratch pool, if defined, and you can only have one, btw, is used by all pools without exception. However, any pool would consider an ACTIVE media in its own pool first which has the same retention settings (unless you allow mixed retentions per media) before dipping into the scratch pool.

Hi, @Mouse. Thank you for the response!

Which steps do l need to track?  I would like to redefine the tapes which in the weekly and archives pool to Scratch pool? Do l need to change policy?

Best Regards,

Tabriz

Mouse

If a tape was taken from a scratch pool, it will return to the scratch pool upon expiration.

A backup policy defines to which pool an empty tape goes from the scratch pool.

@Mouse  

Okay, this is clear to me. But only 4 tapes had been defined to scratch pool. But l would like to define other tapes to the scratch pool (which are have been defined in other pools)

Mouse

Depending on the media state you may be able to move them to the scratch pool.

Go to Media and show the status column, all media that is AVAILABLE can be moved to Scratch (right-click Change). Alternatively - sort by Assigned date and choose those where Assigned date is empty (this means these tapes are unassigned)

All other media that is ASSIGNED (i.e. Active, etc) cannot be moved until all images on this tape is expired and it becomes AVAILABLE

Thanks, Mr @Mouse.

this step will not impact the procedure? SLP, Policies, etc.?

Best Regards,

Tabriz

Mouse

Available tapes do not participate in SLPs or backups, they just sit in pools ready to be used. You can move them anytime.

Conversely, if NBU does not allow you to move a tape, there is a reason for that.

Can l move the tape 56 to the scratch pool?

Media.PNG

StefanosM
Level 6

there is a column "Time Assign" 
If this column for tape 000056 is empty, yes you can. If it is not empty, no.

Netbackup will not let you change the volume pool for a tape that has unexpired data on it.

Mouse

Depending on what the Time Assigned column shows. If it's empty then yes, you can

@StefanosM @Mouse

Thanks for the Help!

I will try to do the procedure. I Will be informed you of the solution as soon as possible

Best Regards,

Tabriz