cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scratch tapes going to the netbackup pool...

Schwarzkopf
Level 5
Hi.

Every day I put new scratch tapes in my robot, but this tapes go to NetBackup pool.
Can you tell me what need I change to this tapes fall in scratch pool  automatically ? (Solaris)

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

Avery_Winford_2
Level 3
Go to your volume pools and create a scratch pool or bp.conf and add a line SCRATCH_POOL = Scratch
Then right click on the robot to do an inventory, click advanced and create a barcode rule for scratch.
Look on page 123 of the Netbackup  6.0 media manager admin guide for explicit instructions, or page 119 of the Netbackup 5.x media manager guide to assist you.

Hope this helps.

Avery

Avery_Winford_2
Level 3
Forgot SCRATCH_POOL=Scratch should be in the vm.conf file.  My mistake....

Avery

Richard_Bannist
Level 5
Here's my 7yr old basic script, which is still in daily use today on a couple of Master servers -

http://news.support.veritas.com/dnewsweb.exe?cmd=article&group=veritas.netbackup.datacenter.english&...

I don't use the 'scratch feature' as tapes external to the robot end up in scratch pool as well as physically present tapes. That to me is not a scratch pool, so i have always scripted the tape movements and switched off the scratch feature, i've done it like this since version 3.1.1 of NetBackup (am on 5.1 now)

Rich

Darren_Dunham
Level 6
So it sounds like you're preferring that expired tapes external to the library remain in the backup pool rather than return to 'scratch'.

What is the advantage you get from that?  If I see 'scratch' tapes outside my library, then I use that as a signal that something offsite has expired, and I can either delete it or recall it.

--
Darren

Stumpr2
Level 6
Tapes that expire will be placed into their original pool. If they currently are all being initiated in the Netbackup pool then when they expire they will not be put into scratch but instead they will go back to the netbackup pool.

Richard_Bannist
Level 5

@Darren Dunham wrote:
So it sounds like you're preferring that expired tapes external to the library remain in the backup pool rather than return to 'scratch'.

What is the advantage you get from that?  If I see 'scratch' tapes outside my library, then I use that as a signal that something offsite has expired, and I can either delete it or recall it.

--
Darren

Not quite, I move all expired tapes that are external to the library into a.n.other pool, Scratch tapes going back to their original pools and not being physically present in the library are less than useless to me or the backup jobs  hence why i originally started working this way.

Also, this is purely so a glance down the media list shows that these tapes can be retrieved and loaded into the library easily. It's a moot point i guess, at a scripting level anyway; i just like a scratch pool that contains only instantly usable scratch tapes.

Stumpr2
Level 6

Schwarzkopf wrote:
Every day I put new scratch tapes in my robot, but this tapes go to NetBackup pool.
Can you tell me what need I change to this tapes fall in scratch pool  automatically ? (Solaris)
Thanks.

Perhaps we misunderstood. You can put "new" tapes into the library aned have them be put directly into scratch by using a barcode rule. Otherwise you are correct that a "new" tape will be put into the Netbackup pool.