cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set Primary Copy Image, not change Copy Number

lnacarati777
Level 2

Hi,

I trying to turns a duplicated image backup that came as Copy Number 2, to Copy 1 and Primary Copy. But when I set the image to be Primary Copy, Copy Number still as Copy Number 2. Even though I have already expired the image that originated the duplication.

Any help will be welcome!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I'll prefix this with the disclaimer that I haven't touched Synthetic Backups in several years.  First because they tied up too many tape drives at once and then, once we got our Appliances, they weren't necessary.

As long as you are using whatever copy number is also the Primary Copy, you should, within the limitations of Synthetic Backups, be able to create a Synthetic.  However, there are a few limitations.

This KB article details some of them.  While .f files went away sometime early in the 7.x series, the overall issue of conflicts and expired images still can exist:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH37238

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

The copy number cannot be changed, but the Primary copy can be changed to copy 1 or copy 2 or copy x. You don't have to worry about the copy number, that will not change even if you change the Pimary image to any copy avilable.

To amplify on what @Tape_Archived correctly stated, the Copy Number is just an indicator of how many generations removed from the original backup (Copy Number 1) a copy is.  It comes in handy when working with SLP's and things like that.

The Primary Copy flag is what is used by restores and other queries.  Its only job is to indicate which copy will be read if needed.

Tks for your reponse.

But it is possible to run a Full Synthetic backup from this image as Copy 2 Primary Copy? I performed a incremental backup successfully, and after that i try a Full Synthetic, but i get a error.

Follow attached.

I'll prefix this with the disclaimer that I haven't touched Synthetic Backups in several years.  First because they tied up too many tape drives at once and then, once we got our Appliances, they weren't necessary.

As long as you are using whatever copy number is also the Primary Copy, you should, within the limitations of Synthetic Backups, be able to create a Synthetic.  However, there are a few limitations.

This KB article details some of them.  While .f files went away sometime early in the 7.x series, the overall issue of conflicts and expired images still can exist:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH37238