cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set the media retention period

Home_224
Level 6

Dear All,

I want to dedicate the scope of media to run the full and differential backup and keep for 1 month and 2 weeks, so that I can full utitilization the media and not to buy extra media to serve full backup media and differential backup individual. 

Can you advice on that the setting/

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

NetBackup usually does a reasonable job of managing media using the default settings. 

One thing that may interfer with this is if you are removing media from the library before it becomes FULL. Another possibility is that some of these media settings have been altered from their defaults. 

I'm not entirely clear what the problem is that you are trying to solve. You should be able to estimate the amount of data that is backed up (on average) each differential and full backup. This should guide you to the number of media required for your backup cycle. You may want to review the NetBackup Administration Guide Volume 1 which has more details. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified

@Home_224 How do you mean by dedicating media to run full and differential backup? As far as retention period is concern, you can control this using SLP or via policy configuration itself. 

@Home_224 If you mean to mix both full and differential backups to the same media, this can be done. It is not good practice and may in fact cause more media to be used than by using the default setting of one data retention per media. 

If you want to do this, there is a tick box on the master server host properties under the media section "Allow multiple retentions per media". 

@Dollypee @davidmoline 

To make this change, as I find the the daily job to using different media , the weekly backup use another new media for backup. Therefore, I always to insert new media to ensure the enough media for whole week, buy a lot of media to fill up the library.  I am not sure my suggestion to improve the media expense. 

NetBackup usually does a reasonable job of managing media using the default settings. 

One thing that may interfer with this is if you are removing media from the library before it becomes FULL. Another possibility is that some of these media settings have been altered from their defaults. 

I'm not entirely clear what the problem is that you are trying to solve. You should be able to estimate the amount of data that is backed up (on average) each differential and full backup. This should guide you to the number of media required for your backup cycle. You may want to review the NetBackup Administration Guide Volume 1 which has more details. 

Let me summary the problem to make it clear.

There are two set on-site and off-site media for backup in our enviornment, the rentation is incremential for 2 weeks, and full backup is for two months. 

Weekday backup for daily use the below four tapes with the different rentation, no need to insert the new tape for backup . I suppose to this situation. 

Onsite 

ON0001,ON0002, ON0003, ON0004

Weekday backup for offsite tape for four tapes use for backup every single day, 5 days for daily increamential backup , it used for 20 tapes for backup. I check the backup media set for MPX , it supposes to use for backup until full.  I have to keep check every day and insert the new media for my daily job.  I don't want to this happen and spend a lot of money to buy new tape. 

Offsite 

Day one 

OF0005, OF0006. OF0007, OF0008

Day two 

OF0009, OF0010,OF0011,OF0012

I would like to make this clear to your expertise know the problem.

Many Thanks,

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

How many tape drives in your tape library?  Are they different types, or all the same type?  If different types, then how many of each type?

@sdo 

There are 32 media  tape , there are daily regularly remove the offsite tape and insert tape. All is using the LTO5 media.  Vault list eject media for offsite more than insert the offsite media.  

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Apologies, did you mean 32 tape drives?

@sdo

Sorry i should say there are four tape drives with 32 tape media

Hi Support,

May I know if there is anyone can help me 

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Home_224 

This is not Support.
VOX is a user forum where fellow users try to help one another.
We are luck that some Veritas experts like @davidmoline and @mph999 also help here when they have the time.

You have marked a Solution for this post.
That means that your query/problem is answered/solved.