cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set up Catalog to run triggered by last job completion?

Al3
Level 2

How can you set up a Catalog (Netbackup 7.5)  to run triggered by last job completion? This could be after a set amount of time to initiitate this process.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I might disagree with Nicolai on this one, in the nicest way possible ;0)

You can set it to run an incremental catalog backup after the completion of eack 'backup session' - this can be selected when configuring the catalog backup via the catalog backup wizard.

This can only be selected if 'Incremental' catalog backups are selected, as well as full.

See attached pic

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Not possible. Scheduling of the Netbackup Catalog follow normal Netbackup scheduling procedures. Either time or frequency based.

This was a option pre NBU 6.X becuase the catalog backup was a offline process. Today its online and the option has been removed.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I might disagree with Nicolai on this one, in the nicest way possible ;0)

You can set it to run an incremental catalog backup after the completion of eack 'backup session' - this can be selected when configuring the catalog backup via the catalog backup wizard.

This can only be selected if 'Incremental' catalog backups are selected, as well as full.

See attached pic

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I am with mph999 here (sorry Nicolai!)

If you already have a schedule setup then for the Differential or Cumulative Incremental you will see a radio button option at the bottom of the schedule that you can check to make it fire after each set of backups.

If you need it to fire after full backups too then just script the parent_end_notify.bat (create that file in the \netbackup\bin directory) on the Master to make it do what ever you want to - such as fire off the catalog policy.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Seems that I am wrong - sorry  angry

Thanks for pointing this out

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It seems that 'session end' catalog backup can also be configured with manually created Catalog policy.

I found the following in NBU Admin Guide I:

About catalog policy schedules
When you work with catalog policy schedules, consider the following:
■ The schedules that are supported in the online, hot catalog backup policy type are as follows:
   ■ Full
   ■ Differential incremental (depends on a full schedule)
   ■ Cumulative incremental
   ■ Session-based differential incremental
   ■ Session-based cumulative incremental
■ Symantec recommends that only one catalog backup policy be configured.
■ The media server that is used for catalog backups must be at the same NetBackup version as the master server.
■ The incremental schedule depends on a full schedule.
■ The least frequent schedule runs if many schedules are due at the same time.
■ One catalog backup policy can contain multiple incremental schedules that are session-based:
   ■ If one is cumulative and the others are differential, the cumulative runs when the backup session ends.
   ■ If all are cumulative or all are differential, the first schedule that is found runs when the backup session     ends.
■ The queued scheduled catalog backup is skipped if a catalog backup job from the same policy is running.
■ Session end means that no jobs are running. (This calculation does not include catalog backup jobs.)
■ The Vault catalog backup is run whenever triggered from Vault, regardless of whether a catalog backup job is running from the same policy.
■ When an online catalog backup is run, it generates three jobs: A parent job, a child job for NetBackup relational database tables, and a child job for catalog images and configuration data. The child jobs contain the actual backed up data. Consider both child jobs to duplicate, verify, or expire the backup.