cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set up and configure backup environment

SUBHADIP
Level 4

I have to set up and configure a new backup environment.

Customer is asking for 7.5.0.4 but as there are some NBSL memory leakage issue and there are some vm machines to be backed up, shall I go for 7.5.0.4 or 7.1.0.4 as I found this more stable.

Also can you please provide all the necessary steps to configure the NetBackup enviroment from scratch starting from design to implementation.

There are around 80 Windows machines, some are running some high end applications and databases and 100 vm machines and also some Linux machines around 50 which need FT backup. There are 4 exchange servers 2010 to be backed up and also some SQL and Oracle DB servers.

Total there will be around 8TB data to be backed up and may increase another 2TB in future.

What will be master server configuration I need to design of how many CPUs and how much RAM and what kind of Network (Ethernet card and FC card) settings should I design and suggest ?  Also how many and what type of drives(LTO-4 or LTO-5) should I require ? How I can calculate these things ?

Please suggest and advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have shared two more URLs. Please take your time... Or contact a Symantec consulting partner.

CPU and memory recommendations are documented in the white paper.

We cannot prescribe Ethernet or FC cards. If lots of backups will be done over the network, investigate feasibility of 10Gb network.

Choice of tape drives will be determined by cost, media capacity and ability of media servers to stream tape drives. LTO-6 is already out. So, weigh up LTO-5 vs LTO-6.

You may want to consider dedupe storage as first stage for backups. Have a look at NBU appliances - purpose built with lots of memory and CPU, choice of multiple 1 Gb or 100Gb NICs, choice of 2 or 6 FC cards.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

The NBSL memory leak has been resolved in 7.5.0.5.

7.1.0.4 vs 7.5.0.5 , I would def go with 7.5.0.5

With the amount of items you are asking for, you may need to contact consulting or one of Symantec's partners.  They specialize in complete configuration and system design.    If you are looking for generic information, you will want to start with the following :

7.5 sysadmin guide , release notes, NetBackup Getting Started Guide  which can be found at :  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5138

7.x upgrade portal -http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH74584

For system requirements, documentation, and compatibility information, please use the Installation and Upgrade checklist found on the SORT website before any upgrade: 

Marianne

Also can you please provide all the necessary steps to configure the NetBackup enviroment from scratch starting from design to implementation.

Wow! Asking a lot here, hey?

If you do not have the background and experience, you really need to get hold of a Symantec Consulting Partner.

Some reading matter in addition to all the links in Dyneshia's post:

Planning and Performance Tuning Guide http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC4483
Designing your backup system http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO56078

SUBHADIP
Level 4

I have experience but starting from scratch needs a lot of planning, hence was asking.

Ok, I will go for 7.5.0.5

But in Planning and Performance Tuning Guide I really did not get like I asked earlier : "how many CPUs and how much RAM and what kind of Network (Ethernet card and FC card) settings should I design and suggest ?  Also how many and what type of drives(LTO-4 or LTO-5) should I require ? How I can calculate these things ?"

Calculation I want to do.

Can you advise on this please ?

Marianne

I have shared two more URLs. Please take your time... Or contact a Symantec consulting partner.

CPU and memory recommendations are documented in the white paper.

We cannot prescribe Ethernet or FC cards. If lots of backups will be done over the network, investigate feasibility of 10Gb network.

Choice of tape drives will be determined by cost, media capacity and ability of media servers to stream tape drives. LTO-6 is already out. So, weigh up LTO-5 vs LTO-6.

You may want to consider dedupe storage as first stage for backups. Have a look at NBU appliances - purpose built with lots of memory and CPU, choice of multiple 1 Gb or 100Gb NICs, choice of 2 or 6 FC cards.

SUBHADIP
Level 4

Thanks a lot Marianne. I will follow these guidelines you have given and design based on that.

Also I will consult Symantec consulting partner. But do they given design solution as per my requirement?

Any doubts I will come back to you.