cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up Netbackup lab

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified

Hi every one, any one who has been able to set up netbackup lab ? probably using vmware.. I would like to know how, requirement and how it was set up...

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can really play about with NetBackup in vmware right through to tapes - virtual tapes!! (real tape hardware not supported)

Caveat - this lab uses a Linux OS and Netbackup media for your OS and this virtual tape library driver.

https://sites.google.com/site/linuxvtl2/

Written by a Symantec engineer (I believe), and I even think some Netbackup training is done using this.

Using a setup like this you can get an idea for managing media, or just use disk based storage --- its all disk anyhow at the end of the day in this setup using virtual machines.

I have used this setup of a virtual master to also test my DR - that I can restore my Netbackup catalog. And also test NetBackup upgrades.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Just add enough CPU, RAM, and disk to VMs. At lease 2 core, 2GB RAM, 64GB disk is needed.Depending your test plan, more CPU, RAM, disk space, and additional vmdk is needed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can really play about with NetBackup in vmware right through to tapes - virtual tapes!! (real tape hardware not supported)

Caveat - this lab uses a Linux OS and Netbackup media for your OS and this virtual tape library driver.

https://sites.google.com/site/linuxvtl2/

Written by a Symantec engineer (I believe), and I even think some Netbackup training is done using this.

Using a setup like this you can get an idea for managing media, or just use disk based storage --- its all disk anyhow at the end of the day in this setup using virtual machines.

I have used this setup of a virtual master to also test my DR - that I can restore my Netbackup catalog. And also test NetBackup upgrades.

apundla
Level 0

HI,

I want to learn Netbackup,

I have one laptop and is it possible to setup Netbackup in my laptop

If it is possible  plz let me know 

Regards

Audi

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Hi Audi - before doing anything else, you will need a license.  If your company/employer has spare traditional licenses then you could use those.  Or if you/they have spare capacity from a capacity based license then you could notionally use those instead.  If you don't have any of these then approach your nearest friendly NetBackup reseller and request a temporary evaluation license key, and they might (but might not) be able to generate one for you.  There is no point even attempting to install NetBackup without a license key, because it simply will not work without a valid license key.  Come back when you have a key (but never ever show anyone your keys - not even on this forum), and then some of us might be able to help you get installed.  HTH.

sdo

NetBackup Master Server cannot run on Windows 7/8/8.1/10.  You need RHEL or AIX or Solaris or Windows Server.  You will need 16GB of RAM just for the master server, sometimes it will run in less, sometimes it won't.  You will need a quad core dual threaded CPU (i.e. 4 cores x 2 threads = 8 threads) but sometimes you can get away with dual core CPU.  The CPU will need to be 2.8GHz per core at least, more is better.  You will need 20GB of disk just to install NetBackup Master Server and an admin console.

sdo

NetBackup Master Server requires fast disk.  A single laptop HDD will be so slow that the NetBackup Master Server application may start to timeout.  Ideally an SSD, but even this sometimes is simply not fast enough.  You try running in VMware Workstation or VMware Fusion.  I can run a virtual NetBackup Master on a quad core i7 MacBook with 16GB RAM and an SSD.  And the NetBackup Master Server 8.0 on Windows Server 2012 R2 just about runs in 6GB RAM of RAM for the VM itself, and access to all four CPUs.  A master sever on RHEL minimal would probably be more efficient.