cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup alert for vmware client

Mastana420
Level 5

Hi

I need to setup an alert so it emails me everytime a parituclar client is not backed up. Client is backed up through a VmWare Inteligent Policy. I do have the OpsCenter with analystic license, but still cant seem to find a way to setup an alert which will give me what i want.

I can easily setup an alert on policy level, but cant on client level. It simply does not list any clients at all, it lists the master server - Policy name and then media servers.

14 REPLIES 14

William_Jansen_
Level 5
Partner Certified

Hello

I would suggest you take a look at the vCentre Netbackup Plugin:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.DOC6288

I believe it has a report that does that for you.

Best Regards

William_Jansen_
Level 5
Partner Certified

Maybe try these links, 'stolen' from one of Mariaan's posts:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH211115

http://www.symantec.com/docs/doc6288

Mastana420
Level 5

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I have version 7.6.0.2 installed on the Vcenter Client already, but i do not see any option there allowing me to create alerts. I does list a very nice overview of backup status over time, but no way i could create an alert from there. Let me know if i am misunderstanding your point.

There must be a way in Opscenter as this is a much powerfull tool, and costs so much aswell.

William_Jansen_
Level 5
Partner Certified

It's difficult to create an alert, as an alert is an incident driven thing. A report might be better as it runs in a moment in time.

It also begs the question how would Netbackup know about what it's not backing up.

The closest to this is the Coverage Report in OpsCentre. Where you upload a CSV file of your estate. It inspects that and tells you what has backups and what not.

Failing that. I have a script I've written that checks through a file with client names in if they've had backups in the last two weeks.

But I'm not sure how one would setup an alert for something like this.

Mastana420
Level 5

Hi

Sorry for not getting back to you, have been realy busy. Could you please provide how i could use the coverage report to gain my needs? I would love to create a file with the client name, and give that client a status. So if that status is not as specified in the file, it would report me. Otherwise do nothing. Would that be possible?

Mastana420
Level 5

Nobody can help?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Script it?

Create a text file containing a list of client names to report IF they don't exist in the next section.

Create a script, which can be cron scheduled, to do the following:

- use bpdbjobs -most_columns to collect all jobs for the last 24 hrs

- use a loop to read the bpdbjobs file to select successful backups and write another file which is a list of all clients that had successful backups

- sort -u  this output file/list of clients with at least one successful backup job (BTW this is irrespective of policy name)

- use another loop to read the list of desired clients to check for, and grep the list of successful clients, if the desired client is not found, write to a list of missing clients

- email the list of missing clients.

William_Jansen_
Level 5
Partner Certified

There is also a column in VMware that list the last Backup Date By Netbackup. Maybe you can just export this daily.

Mastana420
Level 5

I am afraid that wont work for me, as i am not good in scripting. Isnt there a way to trigger such an alarm from the master server itself, if that master server is running on Linux and email notifications is already setup?

Mastana420
Level 5

You can use backup_exit_notify to notify to an email for whatever you script it to do. What about using it to notify be every time let say ClientA exits with a status code other then 0? Would that result in it executing on all the jobs? can we limit it to run only when ClientA is taking a backup? Remember this ClientA is a Vm running through a VmWare inteligent policy.

sdo

This doesn't help the OP with alerting for clients that have not had a backup - e.g. if the backup policy/schedule did nto fire, or someone deleted/removed a client from a policy.

So, as far we know, there is no report to alert for clients not having a backup within a certain time frame.

Therefore the only solution is to script it.

Mastana420
Level 5
Hi. Would you be able to give me a sample script I could use for a VMware client taken backup off through VMware intelligent policy?

sdo

Well, I don't have anything pre-written if that's what you mean - so anything written would have to be new, from scratch.  If you need something in Windows DOS/batch then I may be able (time willing) to write something fairly quickly, or if you need something in Unix/Linux ksh then this might take me a fair bit of effort and time to write.  The other question is... does it have to be perfect?  Or can you tolerate a few loose ends that you have to tweak and sort out yourself?   For example would need explicit instructions on how to configure a Unix cron job or a Windows scheduled task?

Wouldn't this be a great time to learn how to script - especially for something that is relatively straight forward like this?  Are you sure that you can't do it?

Is your NetBackup VMware Backup Host a Windows based host?  If it is Windows based, then is this Windows based NetBackup VMware Backup Host installed as a 'media server' or is it installed a an 'enterprise client' ?

Or, is the NetBackup VMware Backup Host a Linux based host?

Mastana420
Level 5
Everything from media server to master is Linux based. Only thing Windows might be the client in question. I would love to learn it myself, and this sample will definitely help me. It would be helpful if you could give some instruction on the cron job as well in Linux.