Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shadow Copy Components - Restore information

Steve__O_Brien
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hello NetBackup Peers,

Can someone please help me with an answer I have been seeking in relation to the Shadow Copy Components.  When viewing the contents of the Shadow Copy Components through the Backup, Archive and Restore GUI, why why are the contents of the Registry, System files, Event logs at 0 bytes?  Should they be?  I have been pulling my hair out to find out if this should be the case!!!  When drilling right into the file level of the Backup, Archive and Restore GUI these files show as 0 bytes.  Barring a major problem, if this is how NBU represents the registry in the Restore gui, can anyone refer me to a tecnote explaining why this is the case?  I have been searching the web, the Symantec site and so far ahve turned up nothing.  I am looking for some written documentation on it.

Thanks,
4 REPLIES 4

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Steve

That's a little disconcerting. Just checked a handful of our 2003 clients (all at different NB levels 5.1.x & 6.5.x, Master at 6.5.1/Solaris 9) & all Shadow Copy Component entries are 0kb in size as you state. Whereas System State entries for 2000 clients show 'valid' sizes.

I did confirm, however, that something WAS backed up (via Client Backups report & Activity Monitor from last nights jobs), altho' we would need to test a restore to confirm.

Hopefully it's just a bug with the GUI (can't see any reason why it should be intentional) unless there are any ideas out there?

Message Edited by Andy Welburn on 03-28-2008 09:51 AM

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Just in case any body else is concerned, this is 'normal' apparently:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/273382.htm

Thanks for that Steve Smiley Happy

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Thanks Andy I was staring to worrie about this

Steve__O_Brien
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hello Andy/Omar and all,

Just as an fyi, we had a customer restore today under these circumstances and all went fine.

Cheers,

Steve