cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shame on some posters

zippy
Level 6
All,

This forum has become a place where some "posters" bring a dark side of human attitude, they are in some cases; are over stepping the "Participation Terms" set by Symatec. These folks know who they are and should check their posts before the post them.

You have nothing to gain but "little respect" from peers.

JD
17 REPLIES 17

Ade_A
Level 4
Ahem!

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
What were the rules again?

Gale_De_Los_San
Level 4
Hmm.... Maybe Symantec should exercise their discretion as shown in the Participation Terms:

"Further, at its discretion, Symantec reserves the right to ban individuals from participating in any or all of the discussion forums.

Appropriate Language: The purpose of the discussion forums is to facilitate the exchange technical information and expertise on Symantec products. Personal attacks, slurs, and profanity in your messages are forbidden and may lead to the Removal of the Posts or your banishment from participating in any or all of the discussion forums."

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
Ok, got.
Thank you

zippy
Level 6
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Ahem

???

Ade_A
Level 4
Jimmy,

I could say that I meant ahem...meaning...

a�hem (-hm)
interj.
Used to attract attention or to express doubt or warning.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ahem

But in reality I meant Amen brother. :)

On an additional note: I think there are individuals with more than one user id that are posting questions and then signing on with another ID to then answer said question...all to gain points. I believe a thorough investigation should be done. If this is true, the sad/pathetic individual(s) doing so, should be outed and ridiculed. Don't you agree James???

zippy
Level 6
Yes I totally agree with your statement, I have been answering on this forum over year now, nearly every day I have logged in to answer questions and it's taken me over a year to gain 1000 points, I have brought up this same "question and thought:" more than once over the past year, it appears to me that some folks just joined this form 3 or so months ago and have gained hundreds of points in such a short time but to have gained points so fast that on average it appears from my perspective to be unrealistic and just wrong!

Foot note:
Prior to this forum I answered questions on the Newsgroup forum for Netbackup, this particular forum gave you NO points but I did it for a year. I noticed that doing these forums keep you as an Administrator sharp in your field of work, this is not the only forum I do, I'm also active in other forums that pertain to other types of technology and I believe that there are some excessive bogus posting going on in this forum and others. Folks are gaining points at a faster pace of late then I have ever seen over the past year

You know Ade what it boils down to is this

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn by no other way." - Mark Twain

Your only cheating yourself!

Just my two cents.

James Dunn
Sr. UNIX - SAN Systems EngineerMessage was edited by:
James Dunn

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
I have no idea if this is pointed at me or not. I know I have accumulated points fairly quickly. I have one user id but am logged in at all times. I have an extensive notes file that I have filled out quite a bit using this forum and searching books, and tech notes.

If I see something good I copy it and put it in my notes file. I feel no shame about this and do not have any guilt about it either. I use it daily, not just here on the forum but at work and when people call me. I know of one other poster that is coming up through the ranks faily quickly. I am aware of this because I watch his posts. And, I will say this, I am impressed with his technical knowledge. His answers are knowledgeable and thorough. I am also confident part of the reason I have gotten as many points as I have is that I post more than most. And, I reply to any post whether or not I think that I will get points out of it or not. Personally I do not think it is worth it to anyone here to have multiple id's to get points. It is not as though we win an IPod or an other prize. I also stay late at work researching posts, and if I can stay late and write a script to get 5 or 10 points I will do it. Partly just cuz. Partly because I will add that script to my collection and perhaps down the road can use it here again.

I am shameless but hey this is where I have my fun. That and the bottom of the ocean, on mtb trails, and as far up the side of a climb as I can get.

Dennis (Erik) Strom
System Analyst - Senior Backup Administrator

Stumpr2
Level 6
I am not fairly new. I have seen the growth of points being awarded increasing. I think this is due to the fact that we are educating the posters in the profit they will see by awrding points. I did a recent posting about TIPS (To Insure Prompt Service).
I am disappointed when valuable participants leave the forums because they feel they are not appreciated by getting the proper recognition for taking the time to create a script, provide a technote, personal insight...whatever.

The current 10th place participant Jeffrey Reddington quit posting because of the lack of points being rewarded. I was very sad to see him go because he is a VERY knowledgable resource for NetBackup. He at one time was a VERITAS engineer. I think he would still be participating if he had gotten the recognition he deserved.

I have also had email conversations with other participants that also sometimes feel like tossing in the towel. I would not like to lose any NetBackup resource. I feel the active participants in this forum are all very knowledgable and the cumulative experience is something that is of GREAT worth.

I post problems and questions here to. I do it because I have expectations that one of my peers may be able to help me out. It's a lot of give and take.

BTW: It flatters me when I see other participants cut/paste my earlier postings. I am not the least bit offended or hurt if they are then rewarded with points. There are always plenty of people looking for answers and I am no David Carradine @ yellowbook.com

zippy
Level 6
Dennis,

Take a look here.

http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4467011⥃

JD

zippy
Level 6
Jeffrey Reddington = James Dunn

Stumpr2
Level 6
James Dunn = Bird on a Wire
I guess this blows your witness protection program.Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
ok, got.

Bob, somehow or another I am almost always impressed with your posts.

James, I think it would be good to have you around for a while. There are some area's where your reply's seem to have just a bit more depth than most.

Stumpr2
Level 6
I think the points help competition and encourages people to provide information that increases with depth of the conversation. Many times explainations of a possible fix can trigger further thought by the poster and enable them to come to their own conclusion and fix. No one should know thei Netbackup environment better that they do.

zippy
Level 6
you wanna see somthing kinda familar?

http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4464157ḝ

many of the coments are the same, sorta creepy.

JD

Chuck_Stevens
Level 6
I think the points system is silly and detracts from an otherwise excellent* forum. It encourages people to get miffed it they don't get points, and also encourages people to post pointless messages just to get points.

I've participated in many excellent IT forums over the years, and this is the only one with this silly point system. You don't need points to be a peer-to-peer help forum superhero.

I say do away with 'em.

-- Chuck

(* excellence marred only by the fact that Symantec/Veritas completely ignores it...)

Chad_Wansing
Level 4
I have to say that to a rather large degree, I agree with Chuck. I won't say that the point system should be done away with, but if we're using it as the "grown-ups version" of a Diablo II ladder ranking, I'd say that's rather unfortunate.

Recognize the contributions folks have made, but some here seem to see it as a validation of their expertise as a professional........which I whole-heartedly disagree should be it's real purpose.

Take advice that's given at face value, do some research on your own to prove the validity of an offered solution, and show appreciation when someone helps you out.....whether points are a part of that or not, I think a good forum is more about the people who are members, not about who's "the big dog"..........