cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Data Domain and the owner of backup images on it

GL_Steve
Level 3

Hi,

A big confused about backup image ownership.

If backup from 4 different media servers to same Data Domain storage unit, my understanding is, the backup images on it, would have different owner too. So if we restore, it'll pickup the owner(media server) to do the restore, unless we change owner or override it.

Now how about duplication? I need to duplicate data from this DD to a new one, can I use the fastest media server to duplicate to new media server with the new DD?

Or I'll have to run duplication from each of the 4 old media servers to copy all the backups ran on them, just because they are the owner?

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You can try bpduplicate -altreadhost (hostname)

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

setup correctly - replication between data domans will not load data on the network cards of the media server. The two data domains will exchange unique data block between them. 

The best way to manage replication between data domains is using SLP's - do not use the built-in Data Domain replication as Netbackup will be unaware of the secondary copy.

Genericus
   VIP   

I have a similar situation - I have my SLP set up with altread hosts so I can duplicate to tape with out impacting the source (production) server.

Also - suggest you define a script you can run based on images, to change owner if you ever want to restore to a different server - changing to one direct connected will save writing over your LAN...

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS