cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared STorage Option:SSO. SAN Backups.

Not applicable
Hello!

We are currently setup using SSO to backup over the SAN. We are getting a ton of HBA tine-outs, which fortunately, aren’t hurting our backups but which I believe is related to how the devices are configured in the SAN.

Can anyone help me with specific Visios, diagrams and so forth to answer the following questions:

1- What devices need to see what. In other words, do all the SSO media servers need to see the robot? Or just the Master server.
2- What should the zoning look like. In other words, in the zone should I have the Master, the Tape Drives the Robot and the hosts?

We are running:

1-Windows 2000/2003.
2-We do not have dedicated Backup SAN. The data and tape go through the same HBAs.
3-HBA are a combo of new 2gb QLOGIC’s and 1 GB LP8000.
4-Netbackup 4.5 FP6.

What I would like to do is zone it to where the media servers don’t see the robot. Only the master server. But I’m not too sure that when using the SSO option, if the media server need to control the robot. I can’t find any specific documentation that explains how this really works.

Thanks,
TV
3 REPLIES 3

Alan_Yeung
Level 3
1 - Your media servers don't need to see the robot physically in SSO. In your netbackup configuration, a robot will be created for each media server, that robot will be define as a remote robot with the master as the host.

2 - You should create a zone for only a pair of devices. For example, MasterHBA1_TapeDrive1 zone, for the Master HBA1 and the Tape Drive 1.

tino_Valor
Not applicable
thnaks for the response. Question: Don't the media servers need to see the tape devices? I should zone those as well correct?

Stumpr2
Level 6
My suggestion

1) if at all possible do NOT share tape and disk san HBA's and also set up netbackup to use the specific NIC for backups

2) master server controls the robot AND has a zone so that it has a data path to all drives. That is required for using robtest to unload tapes. Also you may want to use the master server for vaulting during the day either thru disk staging or as an alternate read host. Set upn the master server as the default scan host for controlling sharing.

3) media servers will use the master as the remote robot control host. Each media server that shares a drive with another media server must be able to communicate with that other media server. Use MUST_USE_LOCAL_DRIVES to ensure that the backup data for the media server doesn't go over the network when it is backing itself up. Remember that although the media servers share drives they do NOT share tapes so plan on using tapes for each media server. For licensing use the SAN media server if it is only used for backing itself up and save some bucks. But, if it is used to backup other clients then you must get a regular media server license.

4) documentation
NetBackup 4.5 Shared Storage Option System Administrator's Guide for UNIX and Windows
http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_DataCenter/246740.pdf

You really should read this manual.Message was edited by:
Bob Stump