cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Storage priority

Jevon
Level 4

I have a Unix NBU 7.1.0.4 Master/Media server with 6 tape drives, and a windows NBU media server sharing one of those drives. The windows server is being used for VMWare backups.

Any idea how I can give priority of the shared drive to the Windows NBU Media Server?  I'd like my Master/Media server to only use that device only if all other drives are unavailable.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
My 2c... Zone all the drives to media server as well. Config all drives as shared. Config Master STU with 5 drives and media server STU with 1 drive. This way, your media server will always have 1 drive available.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Dont think you can do what you want very simply i am afraid

Options that i can think of:

1. change its density (which also means having a set of tapes of that density to match) - all very complicated and takes the drive away from the others all together

2. Zone it out of the other server - again takes it away from the others

3. Give the VMWare jobs a higher priority - not perfect but about your best chance

4. Give the VMWare backup media server a load of cheap disk to backup to so that at least the jobs run without hold up and can duplicate when the drive is free

Hope this helps

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
My 2c... Zone all the drives to media server as well. Config all drives as shared. Config Master STU with 5 drives and media server STU with 1 drive. This way, your media server will always have 1 drive available.

Jevon
Level 4

Thanks to the both of you.  While other people may have other requirements, Marianne's suggestion makes the most sense for me.