cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Storage priority

Jevon
Level 4

I have a Unix NBU 7.1.0.4 Master/Media server with 6 tape drives, and a windows NBU media server sharing one of those drives. The windows server is being used for VMWare backups.

Any idea how I can give priority of the shared drive to the Windows NBU Media Server?  I'd like my Master/Media server to only use that device only if all other drives are unavailable.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
My 2c... Zone all the drives to media server as well. Config all drives as shared. Config Master STU with 5 drives and media server STU with 1 drive. This way, your media server will always have 1 drive available.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Dont think you can do what you want very simply i am afraid

Options that i can think of:

1. change its density (which also means having a set of tapes of that density to match) - all very complicated and takes the drive away from the others all together

2. Zone it out of the other server - again takes it away from the others

3. Give the VMWare jobs a higher priority - not perfect but about your best chance

4. Give the VMWare backup media server a load of cheap disk to backup to so that at least the jobs run without hold up and can duplicate when the drive is free

Hope this helps

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
My 2c... Zone all the drives to media server as well. Config all drives as shared. Config Master STU with 5 drives and media server STU with 1 drive. This way, your media server will always have 1 drive available.

Jevon
Level 4

Thanks to the both of you.  While other people may have other requirements, Marianne's suggestion makes the most sense for me.