Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Tape Drives and Maximum Concurent Write Drives

Seth_E
Level 6

Hi all,

Just a basic quesiton here.

Let's say we have one Tape STU and we have Max Concurrent Write Drives = 8 (8 Drives in Library)

And we create another STU on our 2nd media server. Do I also enable 8 for concurrent write drives? Or, would I do 4 on one and 4 on trhe other?

Will 8 on both cause issues (assuming let's say that one media server is using all 8 drives at a particular time).

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you really have 8 tape drives you should never have 8 drives in the STU.

I have not seen any media server with the ability of streaming more than 3 drives at max rate simultaneously.
8 tape drives should ideally be spread across 3 media servers. All media servers can see all 8 drives, but divide the drives in STUs according to media servers' physical capabilities. Something like 3 drives each for the 2 most powerful drives and 2 for the third.

To answer your question - if you specify max drives in all STUs equal to all drives in the the robot, then yes, one media server can 'grab' all the drives and make other media servers queue.

Best to allocate max drives in STU based on media server's ability to stream the allocated drives simultaneously. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you really have 8 tape drives you should never have 8 drives in the STU.

I have not seen any media server with the ability of streaming more than 3 drives at max rate simultaneously.
8 tape drives should ideally be spread across 3 media servers. All media servers can see all 8 drives, but divide the drives in STUs according to media servers' physical capabilities. Something like 3 drives each for the 2 most powerful drives and 2 for the third.

To answer your question - if you specify max drives in all STUs equal to all drives in the the robot, then yes, one media server can 'grab' all the drives and make other media servers queue.

Best to allocate max drives in STU based on media server's ability to stream the allocated drives simultaneously.