cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing Tape Library over SAN

chrislogo
Level 5

Hello,

I have an HP Tape Library attached to a Backup Exec server via SAN  which we are migrating to Netbackup on a different server. Can I share the Tape Library between Backup Exec server and Netbackup server for legacy restores?.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
You could always just stick a stand alone tape drive on the old BE server to do restores with untill all your tapes expire.
As the tapes expire you can put them in the library for the NB server.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Will_Restore
Level 6
is an option between 2 or more Netbackup media servers.  I don't think it is supported between NBU and BE.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Depends on your library.
If you can split your library into two virtual libraries, and have one virtual controlled by the BE master and one controlled by the NB master.... knowing that they CANNOT share the same tapes.  If you did this some tapes would belong to one virtual library and some to the other virtual library.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
No need to keep Backup Exec server for restores - you can import BE media into NetBackup. The process is described in Admin Guide I starting on p. 330.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Its possible to import Backup Exec images as you can select to restore Backup Exec backups within the NetBackup BAR client software
Therein you can utilise the full capacity of the tape lib. And migrate fully to NetBackup.

See the example below where they show....:
How to restore Exchange 2000 Database from Backup Exec tape / image
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/273310.htm

chrislogo
Level 5
 I would have a bulk of medias to import once I migrate BE to Netbackup say more than 100, is there any way I can assign all the BE medias to Netbackup without importing each of them separately 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Chris, AFAIK ..no. Unless there is a way you can merge the media and image database catalogs of BE with NetBackup (a process I'm sure does not exist); you have to import/catalog your media, otherwise how will NetBackup be able to browse backups for restoring, when using the BAR software.

Some thoughts:
You might have a think about the data you have offline on BE tape media currently. Its importance, the retention you have on the images on the media. How often are you requested to perform restores. And the SLA time to restore.

What I'm saying is that keep your BE server. But migrate to NetBackup - clients and hardware. Worse case scenario you have to remove a tape drive from NetBackup config and rezone/present it to BE server - its time consuming but if you can only import 1 media at a time and you have 100.

Unless your BE media retention is based on 12 months and more, you could purchase some more tapes, remove all the BE media from the library. Use the new tapes in NetBackup, and over time if your BE media expires inventory them into NetBackup for use.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
You could always just stick a stand alone tape drive on the old BE server to do restores with untill all your tapes expire.
As the tapes expire you can put them in the library for the NB server.