cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I use the same storage for OS part and Backup DB part?

bkupmagic
Level 2

We are trying to set up Linux server for the backup server, and are using NetApp storage for the both OS part and Backup data part.

We have two different type of stroage both from NetApp. One is FAS which has a lot of storage based functions, and support NFS, SnopShots, DR replications. The other one is E-series has less functions and primarily for the backup data images. Should I seperate OS and Data part , one on FAS, and the other on E, or does that matter.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

areznik
Level 5

I dont think we can answer this question for you - the answer will come down to two parts: 

1) What do you have available?   and    2) What does the customer need? 

For example - if you have 2 storage devices and one is more highly reliable, you might ask the customer if one dataset is more important than the other and put that on the better storage.

From a purely technical Netbackup perspective it doesnt matter where the data goes as long as the destination is up, reachable and has available disk space. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

What do u mean by OS part and backup Data part.Do you mean backing up OS and backing up Data(files/DBs,etc). If so then there is no need to separate both. You can assign low tier storage for backup. If at all you are protecting a very critical applicatioin which needs a very fast restore then you can consider using a faster/more efficient storage. I cannot think of any ther way you would want to backup both of them separately. I would advise keep it simple and backup to less expensive storage. 

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

The advanced features are not going to assist you much so it doesn't really matter. You can't replicate the catalog, and the netapp snapshots are COW so won't protect against disaster.

The faster of the two arrays might be handy as use for the catalog. And the larger for the actual backups.

bkupmagic
Level 2

On the host administration point of view, all OS portion are located on NetApp FAS storage, so, I am just wondering why we would put the backup server OS on the other storage, not on FAS storage as most of other OSs would do...

Or would there be any risk to put both OS portion and Catalog / Backup data on the same storage?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
It might make sense to put them on different storage - but then problems in either array will cause you problems - but backup is usually tier 3, or tier 4 if archiving is present. It depends how critical your backups are. If your backup solution is used by DBAs for log shipping then it could be argued that this lifts the backup solution to tier 2 or even to tier 1. . A good question might be to ask those who provided you your storage why the chose the layouts that they did? They may have a very good reason for it. Personally, even I would like to hear why. . Anyway. The question probably boils down to IOPs and performance. An OS disk should be fairly quiet, especially for a single purpose master server performing no other function... And so slightly less performant storage for OS volumes is probably ok but as long as your OS has enough RAM to avoid swapping (aka hard page faults). I'd be inclined to put the catalog partition of quite performant storage - NetBackup catalog sometimes doesn't need the best storage, but that depends upon what your best is, but then it really probably shouldn't be on your worst storage either. Maybe your storage admins have put your catalog volume on really goodbye storage that is super busy during the day, but fairly quiet at night. . In short, there's nothing untoward about using different arrays, as long as the risks and performance assessment are properly understood.

bkupmagic
Level 2

I am sorry, I did not make myself clear.

Here is what we are doing. We provisioned an iscsi LUN from E-series storage to ESXi host, then hey set up vmware / Linux host on this LUN including mount point for Catalog(Part A). Then we do disk-disk backup, all backup date will be backed up to a few HUGE LUNs mounted on the same host. These LUNs are also located on the same storage(Part B).

So, I am asking if Part A and Part B should, or should not be on the same storage?

sdo

Hmm. Are you asking about storage for a master server, or a media server being used for backups to disk? Above I have assumed you were referring to master server storage. I would probably have something different to say if your question relates to a NetBackup Media Server.

sdo

I'm very sorry I still don't understand.  When you say catalog, is that NetBackup Catalog (of a Master Server), or MSDP Catalog (of an MSDP media server), or both?

Is this new VM a:

1) NetBackup Master Server only.

2) NetBackup Master/Media Server.

3) NetBackup Media Server only.

When you say Part B LUNs are on the same storage... do you mean they are on tthe same storage as Part A, or the same storage as somethign else?  The source data (backup clients) perhaps?

bkupmagic
Level 2

Catalogs - both on Master and Media server.

One vmware/Linux is for Master, the other is for Media.

Same storage means part B data and Part A data reside on the luns privisoned from the storage.

Thanks, hope it is clear this time.

sdo

Gosh.  Maybe I didn't get anough sleep last night.

Now it's two servers, and now even more possible combinations of storage layout for something that I still don't understand.  I'm very sorry, but I'm lost.  Anyone else want to have a crack at this one?

areznik
Level 5

I dont think we can answer this question for you - the answer will come down to two parts: 

1) What do you have available?   and    2) What does the customer need? 

For example - if you have 2 storage devices and one is more highly reliable, you might ask the customer if one dataset is more important than the other and put that on the better storage.

From a purely technical Netbackup perspective it doesnt matter where the data goes as long as the destination is up, reachable and has available disk space. 

Will_Restore
Level 6

"Should I seperate OS and Data part , one on FAS, and the other on E, or does that matter."

I'm going make an executive decision and say put the OS on FAS and backup data on E series.  :)

jim_dalton
Level 6

What else is on the netapp storage?  Is it also home to more data and vms that you will be backing up? If in effect you are backing up the data from the netapp and storing it on the netapp , then if you have storage issues all your eggs are in one basket and you have a major problem.That would tempt me to store things away elsewhere. Jim