cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple question regarding Active Directory granular backups

jeff_j_black
Level 2

Netbackup 7.5 Admin Guide: (Also seeing same statement 'all Active Directory domain controllers' in other articles.)

Page 675: "The Network File System (NFS) must be installed on the media server and all Active Directory domain controllers"

My question: Is it really necessary to install NFS on 'all' AD domain controllers in our environment, or just on backup targets?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Document needs to be corrected. If you need assistance on step by step for GRT config

below is silent video for ref

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/active-directory-grt-backuprestore-using-netbackup-75

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

that this should just be those selected as backup targets, but having read those sections again & again I'm inclined to go the other route i.e. 'all' DCs.

It's not at all clear, necessarily, or maybe it is but doesn't explain why it needs to be 'all'

Maybe you *should* be selecting all DCs as backup targets anyway or that's what's expected?

As you can see we haven't gone this route so cannot offer a definitivre answer, but you are right in seeking clarification & hopefully some will be forthcoming from someone who's been involved in setting this up themselves.

jeff_j_black
Level 2

Thanks, yes. I cannot make out any logical reason that 'all' need to have NFS and the client installed. When you are talking about backing up a server in a datacenter, versus nearly 400 geographically diverse office servers and the data 'should' be reasonably consistent from one to the next, 'all' just does not make sense. Many thanks.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Was hoping for input from elsewhere before you 'returned'!

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Document needs to be corrected. If you need assistance on step by step for GRT config

below is silent video for ref

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/active-directory-grt-backuprestore-using-netbackup-75

jeff_j_black
Level 2

Thanks. One of my team mates got similar confirmation from support as well. Many thanks.