cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single FIle restore from a Linux VM

stivi65
Level 3
Hi We have a Netbackup 7.1 infrastukture. We have to Backup from now on vm's For that we installes some ESX Hosts (WIndows 2008) with Netbackup Media 7.1 installed (they have some drives from the VTL) the Backup works fine. Now i have 2 Question for Restore of single FIles. If the vm has a Windows OS i can restore the files to the ESX Host and copy then the files to the vm. I cant restore the files direktly into the vm. Correct? that would only be possible if i install netbackup client into the vm. correct. If the vm has a Linux/Unix OS then single file rstore is not possible. I have to restore the whole vm (vmdk file). Start the vm and copy the files from the restored vm to the original vm. correct? Thanks for your help. Regarts Stivi
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

horst_heitzmann
Level 3

I cant restore the files direktly into the vm. Correct? = it is correct

Single Filerestore for Linux with NBU 7.1 ar not possible

You must restore the vm to Alternate lacation and Copy the Files

King Regarts 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

horst_heitzmann
Level 3

I cant restore the files direktly into the vm. Correct? = it is correct

Single Filerestore for Linux with NBU 7.1 ar not possible

You must restore the vm to Alternate lacation and Copy the Files

King Regarts 

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Stivi

You are about right in what you say so to clarify:

1. Stop on - you need to restore individual files to a server that has NetBackup installed (media server or another client) and then copy them across

2. On 7.1 you cannot do single file restore for Linux. However, NetBackup 7.5 has now been released and one of the new features of it is single file level restores for EXT4 volumes on RedHat / SUSE virtual machines

Hope this helps