cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single robot, 2 different drive speeds, can I create a separate STU for each type of drive

TimWillingham
Level 5

We have a single LTO3 library (and robot) with a mix of 2 and 4GB drives.  We would like to create a storage unit/group with only the 4GB drives included.  Is this possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VerJD
Level 4
Employee

Yes, it is possible... You just need to make sure that the Tapes, Drives, and Storage Unit all indicate the same type (HCART, HCART2, etc).

e.g.

- 2GB drives/tapes/storage units could be HCART

- 4GB drives/tapes/storage units could be HCART2

(or vice versa, it's your preference)

JD | Veritas NetBackup Support

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

VerJD
Level 4
Employee

Yes, it is possible... You just need to make sure that the Tapes, Drives, and Storage Unit all indicate the same type (HCART, HCART2, etc).

e.g.

- 2GB drives/tapes/storage units could be HCART

- 4GB drives/tapes/storage units could be HCART2

(or vice versa, it's your preference)

JD | Veritas NetBackup Support

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
As JD wrote, it is supported. But in this configuration, you can not share tapes across drives of different drive type. I suppose you mean link speed of drives. 2Gbit/s worth about 200MB/s - it is enough for LTO3, so in general you don't need to classify drives by link speed.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Be aware that if you config different drive types and STUs, you will also need to split the media to match the drive types.

TimWillingham
Level 5

I should have clarified my question by saying all drives are LTO3, but different link speeds.  So they are all HCART3 in NetBackup.  And it appears that is the only differentiator for creating a separate storage group.  I was looking for a simple way to take the 2GB drives out of the mix, but it appears I just need to delete them and have them removed from zoning.

Let me know if there is another way and thanks for everyone's input!

Marianne

We understood your requirement.

The only way to create different Storage Units is to change the drive config to make them different media types as suggested above. 
But then you will need to separate media as well so that media type matches the drive types.

Another way would be to separate the drives by attaching them to different media servers (not shared).
Each media server will have own STU and density/type of drives and media can remain the same.

Or else remove them completely...

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

as Yasuhisa Ishikawa wrote a 2GB Linkspeed is sufficient for LTO-3. If you want to separate I have another idea.

Configure all Drives (and tapes) with the same density (hcart3). Create STUs to used at max. so many drives as you have with 4GB link.

Set all 2 GB-link drives administrativly at down.

So have no mix of densities and a very fast way to reactivate the drives if one of the 4 GB link drive failed.

Regards

tunix2k

TimWillingham
Level 5

Apparently the 2GB drives are causing errors on the SAN fabric, so that is our motivation for retiring them.

Marianne

Then you should remove the drives and delete them from NBU. 

No point in keeping them around and trying to split into separate STU.