Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sizing Netbackup Appliance MSDP Catalog

rcdauria
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Guys,

I've checked the guides (Netbackup Appliance 5230 Admin Guide & Netbackup Appliance Performance and Tuning guide) and couldn't find this:

Anyone knows how to size the "MSDP Catalog" partition when setting up a Netbackup Appliance 5230?

Please note this is not the Netbackup Catalog itself, it's the MSDP Catalog/Database partition.

Talking about appliance media servers with 112TB and 144TB capacities (appliances+shelves), probably using the entire capaticy with MSDPs.

Tks a lot,

Rafael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

On one of my 5230, the MSDP catalog parition is 500GB in size with 2GB used - for a 3 shelf appliance holding about 258 TB of backup data, dedupe down to 58TB of actual used disk, and the real NetBackup Catalog is 113GB on a 1440GB partition.

Personally, I don't think you need to wory about the size of MSDP's own mini catalog.

Here's a top tip - do not use the disk in the appliance head unit for your MSDP space - it's not performant enough.  Instead just carve some Advanced Disk from the disk on teh server head unit.  Only put MSDP on the disk space from the storage shelves.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

On one of my 5230, the MSDP catalog parition is 500GB in size with 2GB used - for a 3 shelf appliance holding about 258 TB of backup data, dedupe down to 58TB of actual used disk, and the real NetBackup Catalog is 113GB on a 1440GB partition.

Personally, I don't think you need to wory about the size of MSDP's own mini catalog.

Here's a top tip - do not use the disk in the appliance head unit for your MSDP space - it's not performant enough.  Instead just carve some Advanced Disk from the disk on teh server head unit.  Only put MSDP on the disk space from the storage shelves.

rcdauria
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Yep sdo, that helps!

Also, thanks for the insight about the MSDP disks. The guide also states that, and it makes a lot of sense.

If someone else could share your MSDP Catalog usage, just for our information, that would be great.

Thanks guys!

rcdauria
Level 4
Partner Accredited

(it also that would be great if Veritas put some kind of information about that sizing on the guides)

cool