Did you mean: 

Sl150 not injecting media on 15 slot expansion MAP

Rick_Concur
Level 3

Hi All,

We have a STK SL150 which has a 15 slot expansion MAP. Here is the behavior:

1.) Inject new media and add 4 to standard 4 slot MAP and 15 slot expansion MAP

2.) Library immediately injects the 4 slot MAP

3.) Media in 15 slot expansion MAP stays in library untouched.

Only work around available is to run an AUDIT of the LIB, and then inventory from NBU and select empty CAP and Update which works

However, logistically this is a nightmare for us as IM handles all our media mgmt. They wont allow the tech to stay on site while we manually inject and audit for each load of media in the CAP.

According to Oracle they say it's the robot in Netbackup not seeing the additional 15 slots.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Let's clear up a small misconception.

"According to Oracle they say it's the robot in Netbackup not seeing the additional 15 slots."

NetBackup does not ever 'see' anything - it waits to be told.

Consider a shop - you have two ways to find out what the shop sells.

1.  You go in and look

2.  You go in with you eyes closed, and ask the shopkeeper what they sell

The results will be the same (you find out what is sold) - but how you get to that result is very different.

NetBackup does 2.  When an inventory is run, it 'asks' the library - where are the tapes, how many slots are there etc ...  It is impossible for NetBackup to 'look'.

This (above) is correct, no matter who tells you anything else.

I would suggest running robtest, then 's p'

( s p = show ports = slots in the CAP  /    s s = show slots = regular slots that hold the tapes 'inside' the library )

This gets the library to report and therefore display in robtest output the 'ports' (which is in fact the MAP slots) - how many do you see.

If you see x4 - then the library is not presenting the other 15 - it's a library issue

If you see 19, then this is correct and something else is wrong.

I would make sure the Device Mapping files are upto date - these can cause issues with scan cmmand and possible robtest.  Device mappings is a 'file' NBU uses to understand what different hardware is.

For background, robtest although a Veritas command only sends scsi commands to the library, so apart from using the device path to te library from the NBU config, it's not actually a NetBackup command as such, there is no option to configure or change it's output - it displays quite simply what the library tells it to.  Incorrect output is a library issue.

I've based the above on a tld type library as this is most common - you can still run robtest if the library is ACS but I think the command you run is capstat (as opposed to s p)

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Rick_Concur
Level 3

Correction. Subject should say "inject" media.. not Eject

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
How is robot connected to NBU? Direct - TLD type in NBU ? ACSLS server - ACS type in NBU ?

Will_Restore
Level 6
  • Only work around available is to run an AUDIT of the LIB ...

if that is the case then some trouble with the library

If you are importing tapes into a library partition, make sure that you assign the mailslot to the required partition before proceeding.

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E35103_07/SLOFU/loading-cartridges.htm#BABEHJBD

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Let's clear up a small misconception.

"According to Oracle they say it's the robot in Netbackup not seeing the additional 15 slots."

NetBackup does not ever 'see' anything - it waits to be told.

Consider a shop - you have two ways to find out what the shop sells.

1.  You go in and look

2.  You go in with you eyes closed, and ask the shopkeeper what they sell

The results will be the same (you find out what is sold) - but how you get to that result is very different.

NetBackup does 2.  When an inventory is run, it 'asks' the library - where are the tapes, how many slots are there etc ...  It is impossible for NetBackup to 'look'.

This (above) is correct, no matter who tells you anything else.

I would suggest running robtest, then 's p'

( s p = show ports = slots in the CAP  /    s s = show slots = regular slots that hold the tapes 'inside' the library )

This gets the library to report and therefore display in robtest output the 'ports' (which is in fact the MAP slots) - how many do you see.

If you see x4 - then the library is not presenting the other 15 - it's a library issue

If you see 19, then this is correct and something else is wrong.

I would make sure the Device Mapping files are upto date - these can cause issues with scan cmmand and possible robtest.  Device mappings is a 'file' NBU uses to understand what different hardware is.

For background, robtest although a Veritas command only sends scsi commands to the library, so apart from using the device path to te library from the NBU config, it's not actually a NetBackup command as such, there is no option to configure or change it's output - it displays quite simply what the library tells it to.  Incorrect output is a library issue.

I've based the above on a tld type library as this is most common - you can still run robtest if the library is ACS but I think the command you run is capstat (as opposed to s p)

Marianne
This is why I ask if the robot was TLD or ACS. robtest with ACSLS robot is totally different. The 'audit' makes me think it might be what is used here.

Marianne
If ACSLS - my guess is that the new cap may be set to manual and not automatic. Check cap status in ACSLS : ACSSA> q cap all TN with acstest/robtest syntax : http://www.veritas.com/docs/000026984 See: 4 ROBTEST FOR ACS LIBRARIES

Rick_Concur
Level 3

Hi, thanks all for your responses and input.. This is all TLD non-acsls managed. I have an open case with Oracle as well. So far non-response, but the assigned engineer has all the info needed. Likely looking over the system generated logs I sent.

Rick_Concur
Level 3

Hi Will,

Yes, when I check properties of the mailslot from the web UI, it shows 19 slots available.

the core issue, from what I see, is that when I add media to the 4 slot mailslot and the 15 slot expansion slots, it will update/read the 4 new media in the mailslot, but show empty in the 15 expansion even though I know there is media in there. It will sit like that forever unless, or until I run a manual AUDIT from the front panel, or the WEB UI.

Very odd and very time consuming to inject/eject media in the library.. what should take 10 min, takes over an hour this way.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Seeing as it's TLD... just curious, did you follow Martin's super advice and do an "s p" from robtest?  What did you see?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Are you running robtest from a DOS box with administrator privileges?

Are you running robtest on the robot control host?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

On one of the media servers, run tpconfig -d ( a media server that has drives in the problem library)

Part of the output looks like this

Currently defined robotics are:
  TLD(0)     robotic path = /dev/sg4
  TLD(1)     robotic path = /dev/sg6

If, against the library it shows a path, you are on the robot control host

If it shows a hostname, that will be the name of the robot control host.

You can only run robtest, from the robot control host.

Rick_Concur
Level 3

when I run ROBTEST I get:

Address 10, import_enabled = 1, export_enabled = 1, access = 1
  except = 0, import_export = 0, full = 0
Address 11, import_enabled = 1, export_enabled = 1, access = 1
Address 12, import_enabled = 1, export_enabled = 1, access = 1
Address 13, import_enabled = 1, export_enabled = 1, access = 1
Address 14, import_enabled = 1, export_enabled = 1, access = 1
Address 15, import_enabled = 1, export_enabled = 1, access = 1
Address 16, import_enabled = 1, export_enabled = 1, access = 1
Address 17, import_enabled = 1, export_enabled = 1, access = 1
Address 18, import_enabled = 1, export_enabled = 1, access = 1
Address 19, import_enabled = 1, export_enabled = 1, access = 1
Address 20, import_enabled = 1, export_enabled = 1, access = 1
<< Press return to continue, or q and return to stop >>

Address 21, import_enabled = 1, export_enabled = 1, access = 1
Address 22, import_enabled = 1, export_enabled = 1, access = 1
Address 23, import_enabled = 1, export_enabled = 1, access = 1
Address 24, import_enabled = 1, export_enabled = 1, access = 1
Address 25, import_enabled = 1, export_enabled = 1, access = 1
Address 26, import_enabled = 1, export_enabled = 1, access = 1
Address 27, import_enabled = 1, export_enabled = 1, access = 1
Address 28, import_enabled = 1, export_enabled = 1, access = 1
READ_ELEMENT_STATUS complete

Rick_Concur
Level 3

I believe the core is the SL150.

When I put 19 media into the CAP (max capacity).. The LIB will audit and see the 4 mailslots 1,2,3,4  and the finish and show 15 slots empty when in fact they have media in them. As I mentioned earlier .. how is Netbackup going to see media that the SL150 cannot detect. So, that it where I am at with Oracle support. We will see how they respond.

Stay tuned..

sankar_28
Level 4

could you please provide us the output of robtest commands  from robot control host as martin already adviced

1. s p ( shows port/CAP  details)

2. s s ( shows slots details)

by running these commands we can came to conclusion about the library mail slot configuration, as the output of "s p" will shows only 4 until unless the extended mailslots is configured from library end.