cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slot based backup in Netbackup

tarladak
Level 4

Hi All,

I got a requirement to implement a slot based backups in netbackup 7.5 , master server,media server -windows 2008r2. I am praparing media pool for each day and Using "override policy volume pool" to make sure that specific slot tape used for that backups.

Slot1 - Monday_offsite

Slot2- Tuesday_Offsite..etc..

First time i will create all media pools for entire week and move tape to perticular media pool, but when the retention period is completed these tapes will to go scratch automatically.

How to move the tapes to particular media pool after rentention perdiod is over.

Regards,

Kiran.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

NetBackup doesn't work by slot, it works on MediaID. You can create pools for each day but the tape that is used for the backup of that pool cannot be predicted. As soon as your media goes to scratch they will be available for any pool to grab for any upcoming backup.

Can you explain WHY you want to do this. This is a very Backup Exec line of operation and NetBackup works totally different.

View solution in original post

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can actual remove the scratch pool. Then media will reside in the same pool.

But do remember you manual have to add tapes to the different pool. Quite hideous to mange just because of odd customer requirement :D

Remember to tell the customer this has no value whatsoever. Knowing backup are on Monday pool is useless even in a DR, because Netbackup rely 100% on the catalog for restore purposes.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Don't forget to charge your customer lots more $$$ for all the manual management that will be incurred by such requirements - and allow more time in your day to manage it that way.  And start preparing excuses for why it breaks, and missed backups, etc...

8 REPLIES 8

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

NetBackup doesn't work by slot, it works on MediaID. You can create pools for each day but the tape that is used for the backup of that pool cannot be predicted. As soon as your media goes to scratch they will be available for any pool to grab for any upcoming backup.

Can you explain WHY you want to do this. This is a very Backup Exec line of operation and NetBackup works totally different.

Marianne
Please do not try to micro manage media in NBU. If you try, you will soon start a new discussion for status 96. Create as little pools as possible - 1 pool is fine if you do not need to keep media separate for different business units. NBU does a good job managing media. Part of catalog entries is the media-id on which backup was done - so, no need for you to manually keep track of Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc tapes. When you want to restore a client's data, you will browse for backups done on a particular day, find the files/folders you want to restore and NBU will prompt for the media-id. Allow NBU to append to tapes for same retention (default ). This way you make best use of media and capacity. Please use barcoded media and a tape library with a barcode reader. Non-barcoded media is difficult to manage.

tarladak
Level 4

Hi All,

Thank you for your suggestions, But due to some contractual issues my client is adement about this implementation. I have to override the netbackup funcationality, intitially i told my client is not possible and not recommanded, but they checked with symantec and got the below procedure.

Create a media pool for each day and remove all scratch tapes. then it will work. I have tested it and it is working, only thing is once the retention expired it is going to scratch pool instead of parent media pool.

Unfortunetely i have to create this pool based backups.

Regards,

Kiran.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can actual remove the scratch pool. Then media will reside in the same pool.

But do remember you manual have to add tapes to the different pool. Quite hideous to mange just because of odd customer requirement :D

Remember to tell the customer this has no value whatsoever. Knowing backup are on Monday pool is useless even in a DR, because Netbackup rely 100% on the catalog for restore purposes.

StefanosM
Level 6

well,

probably your customer needs backup exec and not netbackup........

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Don't forget to charge your customer lots more $$$ for all the manual management that will be incurred by such requirements - and allow more time in your day to manage it that way.  And start preparing excuses for why it breaks, and missed backups, etc...

tarladak
Level 4

Hi All,

Thank you for your support. I am not able to select to make solution. Please close this thred

Marianne

I have selected 'Split Solution' for helpful posts because you have not replied in more than 10 days.