cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow flashbackup performance

J_Bjorndahl
Level 3
Hi
Im using Netbackup 6.5.3.1 Enterprise server with the flashbackup license installed.
Im trying to take backup to disk of our fileserver a win 2003 server who has to SAN disk attached, the disks are about 350 and 400 GB large and we have about 3-5 million files on each of them so the flashbackup option were recommended for us.
But I get a lousy performance about 5MB/s and the 400GB disk backup been backing up för 19 hours now and it is still not ready.
Im using snaphot method 'auto', cache size of 30000

While this backup is running I tested the bpbkar32 test from the C:\ partion and got a throughout of 19229444 bps, so I dont think there is any network problems.
One thing that i noticed in the bpbkar log was "11:15:06.828: [2184.6120] <2> tar_base::V_vTarMsgW: INF - Open File Backup license is not installed on the server. Open File Backup usage will be disabled."

Could this slow down the performance?
If it´s a problem How do I install Open File Backup licens? On the master server? 

3 REPLIES 3

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified

Snapshot backup would be sufficient in your scenerio.

on the master server.

STEP 1:
create a backup policy
type:Windows-NT
check perform snapshot backup
snapshot client options - select thesnapshot method as "VSS"
select the parameter values are 1, 0, 1
client: client name
backup selection : add the SAN drive of the client

STEP 2:
go to host properties of master server
under client attributes>windows open file backup>
add the client
select enable windows open file backup for this client
snapshot provider > select microsoft volume shadow copy service
snapshot usage: global drive snapshot
snapshot error control>abort backup on error

STEP 3:
login to client
go to computer management
right click under system tool>shared folders
select all tasks>configure shadow copies
selcect the san drive and enable shadow copies, after you enable go to settings and change the size to no limit
repeat the same for the drive which is having more space(this drive will be used for storing changes)

fire the backup from master server
then in client go to cmd
exceute vssadmin list shadowstroage( this will show you the amount of space used for snapshot)
moniter the backup for first time to check, how much space is required for the snapshot; what all the changes that are coming to san drive after you started the backup will be written to this place and will be applied after backup is completed,
this is called copy on write technolgy and differential snapshot.
in my screnio; my san drive is 500 Gb and it is not occuping not more that 1 GB for snapshot during backup.
to under on this go through the section of VSS and microsoft link in the below article.
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/low-disk-space

quebek
   VIP    Certified
I would try to test the read speed of these volumes, by trying to copy a huge file to nul device and measure the copy time.
If this will gave You good results, try to do the same over the network.  If this will be OK then NBU backup should be also OK.
If not OK with network copy something wrong with network, if NOT OK with local copy to nul - then issues with Your SAN attached disks.

rj_nbu
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
 Hi

when you run the bpbkar32 -nocont test to benchmark the read speed from the disk, it prints that line (open file license not installed). Dont worry too much about  it.

-Rajeev