cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slowness in VM backup

Mohamedkhattab
Level 4

Hi,

i'm facing a slowness in VM backup,mentioned that in past the full vm backup finished for (560 Gb) finished within 2 hours,but now the backup take more than 18 hours.

i'm using (nbd) transport type,backup taking to symantec appliance,i tried to add another vm machine in same host under the vcenter and backup finished fast

Need your advise.

Vshpere version is : 5.5

Netbackup version : 7.6.0.3

Applicance version : 2.6.3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mohamedkhattab
Level 4
Dear, i Solved the problem by disable all optimization (Exclude deleted blocks,Individual file restore, exclude swap) ,its working fine with me till now and i enable the accelerator. thanks all

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

One thing that can slow backups down is fragmented disks, if you have a lot map disk region entries in the vcenter events it indicates that your vmdk(s) is fragmented. As a vmware backup is actually a flashbackup, it might also be worth defragment the file systems inside the VM.

Other than this I would look in vsphere performance monitor to see if there was something that indicated a problem on the VM or the underlying infrastructure

Are the new VM also on the same datastore ?

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Mohamedkhattab
Level 4

yes michael, in the same datastore

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Check for fragmentation on client disk.

Something else to check is number of concurrent backups on same ESX server and also on same datastore.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

appliance in environment... why not adopt SAN transport... it would be worth time savings and other too. while backups are shifted to SAN.... 

is it possible moving vm (vmotion) to another esx and check backups..... also if VM instance is clustered... try with another VM for same application / DB....

just confirming VM is given storage from datastore only..(and hopefully doesn't have snapshots on it...)

If its from iSCSI try checking on same.

Mohamedkhattab
Level 4
Dear, i Solved the problem by disable all optimization (Exclude deleted blocks,Individual file restore, exclude swap) ,its working fine with me till now and i enable the accelerator. thanks all

Mohamedkhattab
Level 4
i can't use SAN transport cause the appliance in a different location.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

That sounds strange, as you then backup more data than before.

Curious have you disabled all at once or one thing at time ?

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Mohamedkhattab
Level 4

all at once and note taht full vm backup contai  600 GB finished in within 1.30 hour