cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snap Shots on a Exchange Server

zippy
Level 6
All

Yes I know this ? is not quite a Netbackup ? but I thought if anyone here works with the stuf that they may have run across this.

Looking to Snap an Exchange server on a Clarrion - Sym, anyone do this yet and if they have, do you have an example script?

JD
7 REPLIES 7

zippy
Level 6
help?

AKopel
Level 6
No snaps here, we do all streaming based backups so we can use Recovery Storage Group with exchange for mailbox restores.

zippy
Level 6
you get 5 fer tryin

AKopel
Level 6
Wow! Thanks James.
As a side note, are you having problems backing up your exchange servers fast enough without snaps? One thing (I believe) you lose is the ability to use the Recovery Storage Group which (at least for us) is invaluable. I guess from a DR perspective, you can get your Exchange server up and running quicker. Our procedure is basically:

1) Run only streaming backups.
2) In disaster, setup 'dial-tone' mailboxes in exchange for critical users.
3) Restore historical data at leisure using recovery storage group.

Aaron

zippy
Level 6
Aron,

I have heard that EMC is tryin g to sell a SNAP tool for Exchange and I was wondering if anyone is using it, i have also heard that some folks SNAP exchange using scripts Probably not supported that way but it would be interesting to see it work.

JD

AKopel
Level 6
I know that Exchange 2003 supports snaps using microsoft's VSS service.
Here is some info on it with EMC.

http://www.microsoftstoragepartners.com/SolutionShowcase/Detail.aspx?SolutionID=55

If you go that way, I would be interested to hear your results. We are just now putting SQL 2005 on our EMC and will probably be looking at snapping it (as you know from my previous thread that you kindly answered for me :)

I'm sure our exchange won't be far behind. Right now all of our Exchange is on Direct attached storage...

zippy
Level 6
Aron,

VSS is emc stuff, i went to a seminar a while back at emc and they did a dog and pony show for us, free dounuts and coffe, it was cool but you have to buy the VSS from EMC.

Thanks for the info.

JD