cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SnapShot Error

snawaz3
Level 6

I need some immediate assistance. All my vm backups failed with error 156. They have been running okay. I looked in the admin guide for vmware but am at a loss of even how to try and trouble shoot this. Attached is the detail error of one of the vms.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

This does appear in your log file:

"Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password."

08:49:30.704 [15540.3544] <2> onlfi_vfms_logf: INF - Login failed for NDUOPS000 with 6

08:49:30.704 [15540.3544] <2> onlfi_vfms_logf: INF - vSphereconnect returned 25

As i suggested earlier it looks like you have a credentials issue with your vCenter Server - check to see if the account password has changed or the account has been locked out and then reapply the credentials in the NBU Admin Console

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

You need to get the bpfis log from the VMWare backup host (netbackup\logs\bpfis\) to get more details

Could the password have changed for the used used for vCenter? If so that could cause it and you would need to update it in the Credentials section of the admin console

The bpfis log is the first place to look for now

snawaz3
Level 6

when you say vmware host which machine is it. The vcenter machine, the netbackup master or the client /s that need to be backed up

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

As it looks to be a flashbackp-windows policy I assume you have a Windows server that acts as the VMWare backup host (maybe your media server?)

It will be that client that does the snapshots - nbumgt001?

snawaz3
Level 6

the file was on the master\media server ndumgt001.

snawaz3
Level 6

FYI. all the other physical machines are backing up ok. I even did a manual backup on a physical machine and that worked. I also did a restore from one of the vm clients using BAR from the client and was successful. I tried a manual backup on one of the vms and it immediately comes back with error 156.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

This does appear in your log file:

"Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password."

08:49:30.704 [15540.3544] <2> onlfi_vfms_logf: INF - Login failed for NDUOPS000 with 6

08:49:30.704 [15540.3544] <2> onlfi_vfms_logf: INF - vSphereconnect returned 25

As i suggested earlier it looks like you have a credentials issue with your vCenter Server - check to see if the account password has changed or the account has been locked out and then reapply the credentials in the NBU Admin Console

snawaz3
Level 6

@mark_solutions. as always you hit the nail on the head. what was happening was that the nb service account was being locked out even when netbackup was idle. this lead me to believe that some other application was using this account. checked the dc and lo and behold. another application was configured to use the netbackup service account. the problem occurred when we rebooted the server which had the application runing after applying some ms updates. it probably had the wrong password and the netbackup account gotted locked out. deleted the netbackup service account from that application and we were back in business. Thanks for your help.