cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So now we'll be forced to use the Java Admin Console after 7.6.1?

D_Flood
Level 6

I was just reviewing the SORT pages for 7.6.1 and got a very nasty shock...after 7.6.1 (I presume they mean 7.7 or 8.0 or whatever) there won't be a Windows Admin Console anymore...only the evil, damaged, can't copy/paste, can't right click, can't do anything useful Java Console....

First they got rid of 32 bit admin support while the real world still uses 32 bit workstations, now they're hooking their wagon to something that Oracle is doing their best to destroy, Java..<deleted><deleted><deleted>........

I know that Symantec has enough money to pay for decent programmers, they charge enough for their licensing/support that our company has frozen any more expansion due to the cost...so why get rid of each thing that works and replace it with something that doesn't?

41 REPLIES 41

D_Flood
Level 6

One can only hope that the lack of flashy announcements about 7.7's release (many online pages still say 7.6.1.2 is latest) and the pending sale of Veritas to new bosses will result in a 7.7.x.y that actually cares about what the users want/need rather than the daily SHINY! that the Sales Staff uses to bamboozle upper manglement...

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
All those with complex scripting on Windows Admin Console installations - what do they do now?

Will_Restore
Level 6

Windows Admin Console doesn't have same security issues as java; it has its own. I won't miss it.

William_Hall1
Level 1
Certified

This is bad news! We have been using the Admin Console to restore SAP systems (Re-directed restores), The SAP option is only available on the ADMIN console. Will the JAVA Console support SAP restores from the console in version 7.7?

areznik
Level 5

Copy/paste still broken on 7.6.0.4 - you can copy a table of items but when you paste you get column A over and over again

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

This topic is like the proverbial "little bad penny"... which won't stop rolling.

Pierre_J
Level 4

Bad news!

The bugs (so far)

- The Java Console does not listen to Windows regional setting for date and time

- Can't change the order of Backup Selections

- Does not move to Next/Previous jobs in Activity Monitor

- Occasional mutilation of the screen

TJRS
Level 2

Recently we renew the licenses and updated the NetBackup version 7.6.1 to version 7.7 in order to apply the new licenses. Then I had the unpleasant surprise: no more Windows MFC Administration Console (NBConsole.exe).

To complete frustration, I read the article https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.INFO2700.html.

If the Java interface was really good, okay. BUT IT IS NOT. My "Jimmy Fallon thank you note": thank you, Symantec, for making my job most annoying, irritating and difficult. In the next renewal of licenses, I will seriously consider replacing the backup platform.

huddie
Level 3

Absolutely!  I wonder what other features get downgraded or even broken in 7.7.  7.6.0.2 -> 7.6.1.2 was terrible - another Symantec fail.

TJRS
Level 2

Java console simply impossible to use.

Delays, communication errors, server-side exceptions.... 

I need to work, Symantec give my NBConsole BACK!

TJRS
Level 2

Java console simply impossible to use.

Delays, communication errors, server-side exceptions.... 

I need to work, Symantec give my NBConsole BACK!

huddie
Level 3

Why would Symantec care about you ?  You're only a customer after all.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

We might by upset about this JAVA console thing but you're still better of than having to deal with some other enterprise backup solution. You all love NetBackup. Those little blue men, love it!

MortenSeeberg
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have been part of the of the Java GUI beta team, and have been involved in identifying some of the things lacking, and thereby bringing the JAVA GUI closer to the Windows GUI.
Although having been primarily working in UNIX environments, I have always personally preferred the Windows GUI, so this shift caught me by surprise as well.

But I have to say to those of you complaining, yes the JAVA GUI can seem bulky compared to the Windows GUI, but concluding that because it doesn´t work in your environment it´s flawed, might be a bit hasty - customers have been using the JAVA GUI for many many years in huge environments.

It´s not perfect, and yes 7.7 is still missing a few features, but most of the differences between the 2 gets evened out in 7.7.1 which is soon out, and I the good thing about have consolidated the 2 GUI´s is that those additional development hours are being put to good use! I have seen some of the new features coming after 7.7.1 and it´s stuff we have been hoping for, for a long time :)

So have a little faith and and patience...

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Excellent, thanks for sharing Morten!

TJRS
Level 2

I applied update 7.7.1. I still have the same problems.
Intermittent connection errors in the Media and Device Management. Communication error occurred.
I can not see the properties of the storage units: freezes and is grayed out.

I tried doing a clean installation and "everything seems to work". After catalog recovery, the problems recur.

I removed disabled media servers, hoping to solve part of the problems: got nothing.

Whenever there are communication errors, the process nbsl.exe crashes.

Faulting application name: nbsl.exe, version: 7.701.15.910, timestamp: 0x55f1f597
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17736, time stamp: 0x550f4336
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f0f20
Faulting process id: 0x1b50
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1068c672c7ba6
Faulting application path: E: \ Program Files \ Veritas \ NetBackup \ bin \ nbsl.exe
Faulting module path: C: \ Windows \ System32 \ ntdll.dll
Report Id: d96ef5a9-727f-11e5-80cb-14feb5db5512
Faulting package full name:
Package-relative Faulting application ID:

I found that there are several articles reporting problems in java interface.

Many of them recommend using the command line as a workaround to perform the administrative tasks.

That's what left me. Still very, very bad. Need my windows console back.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Since it seems unlikely the Windows console is coming back, would you consider opening a case with us to try to diagnose those nbsl issues?

Midnighter
Level 1

Once again Veritas screws with their customers thinking they know better and that we are too invested in NBU to move to another product.They are wrong.

Upgraded to version 7.7.2. Using the forced JAVA software. Much slower than the Windows version and they decided to remove the activity monitor's device map which I used every day.

My goal this year is to find another backup vendor.

gcbus
Level 3

I too dislike the Java version of the Admin Console - it's clunky at best!

Will_Restore
Level 6

My experience is 7.7 Admin Console quite a bit faster than its predecessors. 

And the Activity Montor device map is still available - look under Media and Device Management > Devices > Topology