cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solaris 11 Netbackup Global and Local Zones

jbrayton
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

New install of a Master Server and 2 media servers using Solaris 11 Zones Netbackup 7.5.0.4

Example:

Media Server ( Media_1 ) installed on a Global Zone

Master Server ( Master_1 ) installed on the local zone which is the same physical server as Media_1

New Physical server has ( Media_2) on a Global Zone

This all works fine until you shut down the Netbackup daemons on the Media_1 server ,

Part of the ( netbackup ) shutdown script will run a ps -ea and grep for nbemm and shutdown the master servers nbemm.,

The reason is the script does not defined if the process_id is running on the local or global zone,.

In the above example the netbackup ( ps -ea | grep nbemm ) finds only process_id of nbemm and kills it

This proccess_id is actually in the local zone so it kills the masters nbemm.

Questions:

1) Do we support this example. We do state we Symantec Supports a master server is a local zone., How about a master and media server on a physical server using the global and local zones.

2) If this is support is there a way to change the ( netbackup ) start/stop switch so the ps -eaZ command will be used to select the correct zone when killing process ids .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6

For those of you who HAVEN'T subscribed yet, here's a quick note that TECH162994 has been updated and now has an extensive section on what we support - and don't support - on Solaris 11, right up at the top of the TechNote.

The relevant section is this:

Non-Global Zone server support:
NetBackup servers are not currently supported in either whole or sparse Solaris 11 non-global zones.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CRZ
Level 6

2. "netbackup" is just a shell script, so you should be able to edit it to your heart's content.  I found the "ps" command (which appears to be /bin/ps -ax on my machine) pretty quickly.

1. Are you sure we support ANY servers in the local zone?  I'm not seeing the documentation you're seeing, probably.

EDIT: If it's this one...

NetBackup Support for Oracle Solaris Virtualization
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH162994

...I don't think you should expect that our eventual Solaris 11 statement will match the Solaris 10 statement, whenever it is released.  (Subscribe to this doc to get an email when it's updated!)

CRZ
Level 6

For those of you who HAVEN'T subscribed yet, here's a quick note that TECH162994 has been updated and now has an extensive section on what we support - and don't support - on Solaris 11, right up at the top of the TechNote.

The relevant section is this:

Non-Global Zone server support:
NetBackup servers are not currently supported in either whole or sparse Solaris 11 non-global zones.

Flako
Level 3

Hi all,

have read the Tech note mentioned above.

Understand that Master Server in Solaris11 Zone in not supported yet.

Does anyone have a guess when it will be supported like with Solaris10 Zones.

It would help me with planning HW+SW.

Thanx,