cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solaris 11 and SL8500 - master media servers won't boot!

Genericus
   VIP   

Just a FYI to anyone with SL8500 and Solaris 11 media servers

I have Solaris 11 master/media servers and write to a SL8500 tape drive. Generally works like a champ!

Last weekend, I did a reconfigure reboot on my media servers to update the tape drives - and it would not connect to the network!

saw errors like this:

svc.startd[13]: svc:/network/datalink-management:default: Method or service exit timed out.  Killing contract 12.
svc.startd[13]: network/datalink-management:default timed out: transitioned to maintenance (see 'svcs -xv' for details)

Clearly a network issue. 

Resolution - disconnect FC to SL8500 robot! We ended up unzoning it instead, since it is not actually the FC that is causing the issue.

The SL8500 looks fine, the OS is fine, just cannot connect them together.

Found https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/DocumentDisplay?_afrLoop=297830852382714&id=1970275.1&_afrWin...

Eventually powered off the SL8500 and powered it back on again, problem solved.

Two full days of Oracle Sev 1, with no appreciable assistance, ended up solving it ourselves.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS
1 REPLY 1

Genericus
   VIP   

Got the Root Cause from Oracle:

The logs have been passed around by various Senior Field Engineers and Back line Support. After looking at them, we have all come to the conclusion that it is extremity difficult to determine what may have happened caused the Solaris servers not to boot up. All Senior personnel came to the same solution... Since the library had all power dropped, that cleared all evidence of the errors that would have showed the cause. The only way to gather the necessary data would be to duplicate the error, but in this occasion, we all know that cant happen. At this point Oracle Engineers/Level 2 are unable to determine the cause of the issue and my apologies that I do not have a better answer to give you. Please let me know if you may have other questions concerns 
NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS