1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree with @quebek .

The Admin Guides are your friends.

Just some additional 2c from my side:

1How to know the logics of the tape usage in library.For example ,in what order should the tapes be in the library.What should be the processing sequence of the tapes.How to know or set a tape will be by netbackup For example how to determine which tape will be processes next week?

No need to put tapes in any sort of order. When you run an Inventory, the library tells NBU where each tapes is.
How media is selected by NBU is in Admin Guide II:
"How NetBackup selects media".

2 Does Netbackup have a tape health monitoring system.is there a feature in netbackup to determine if the tapes are uses an do l know the tape broken?

NetBackup does not monitor your media, but you can use NBU Reports in the Admin console to monitor tape usage: Media Summary Report and Media List report. 
Faulty/broken tapes will cause backups to fail.
3 x I/O errors to the same tape in 12 hours will cause media to be FROZEN.
3 x I/O errors to the same drive in 12 hours will cause the drive to be DOWN'ed. (Some severe errors will DOWN a drive on the 1st error.) You need to troubleshoot this based on the errors you see in Job Details of the failed job.
There are many forum posts and Veritas KB articles on how to troubleshoot media and device errors. (Google is your friend.)

3 Can l manage files on tapes manually?For example ,Can l copy or duplicate some files from one tape to another tape?Are Cli commands for this purpose?

Each backup job is written to tape as 1 image that is in fact 1 tar file that holds the files and folders that were backed up.
You cannot manage individual files in the image.
You can duplicate a complete image using the Duplicate utility in the Admin Console (see Admin Guide I) or bpduplicate from CLI (see Command Reference Guide)

4. How to group tapes (Is it possible to group tapes and share them between policies? For example: 1 group (N tapes) only for archive, 1 group (N tapes) for duplications tasks (SLP))

This is called Volume Pools in NetBackup.
Read up in Admin Guide I and II.

5.  Is there any report system for backups consistency and avaliability(How to check backup consistency how to know how many files available on tape(tape drive usage)?

Client Backup Reports (in Admin Console) will report on successful, unexpired backup images for selected clients over the period that you specify. You can Verify backups (see Admin Guide I), but this only compare the tape contens with the NBU catalog. It does not compare with contents on the Client. I have learned to trust status 0 and have advised customers to perform regular restore tests.
NBU writes in the Catalogs where backup images are written - it knows the Media ID and posision on tape.
I have never in 22 years needed to know these details. NBU knows and I trust it.

6. Drive priority (is it possible to know priority between drives installed in robotic library? How often 1st or 2nd drive is using? Which one default or not?)

See 'How NetBackup selects drives' in NBU Admin Guide II

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hey

Not sure how others forum members but I am not going to open excel file from unknow person. Sorry, just no go.

Okay Man Dont worry

Just l writing here )

1How to know the logics of the tape usage in library.For example ,in what order should the tapes be in the library.What should be the processing sequence of the tapes.How to know or set a tape will be by netbackup For example how to determine which tape will be processes next week?

2 Does Netbackup have a tape health monitoring system.is there a feature in netbackup to determine if the tapes are uses an do l know the tape broken?

3 Can l manage files on tapes manually?For example ,Can l copy or duplicate some files from one tape to another tape?Are Cli commands for this purpose?

Is there any report system for backups consistency and avaliability(How to check backup consistency how to know how many files available on tape(tape drive usage)?

Thanks

quebek
   VIP    Certified

hey

Reading of the Admin guides is a good start - ie https://sort.veritas.com/documents/doc_details/nbu/8.3/Windows%20and%20UNIX/Documentation/

for some questions answer can be found in this one

Veritas NetBackup™ Administrator's Guide, Volume II in Reference topics....

https://sort.veritas.com/DocPortal/pdf/24437881-139263054-1

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree with @quebek .

The Admin Guides are your friends.

Just some additional 2c from my side:

No need to put tapes in any sort of order. When you run an Inventory, the library tells NBU where each tapes is.
How media is selected by NBU is in Admin Guide II:
"How NetBackup selects media".

NetBackup does not monitor your media, but you can use NBU Reports in the Admin console to monitor tape usage: Media Summary Report and Media List report. 
Faulty/broken tapes will cause backups to fail.
3 x I/O errors to the same tape in 12 hours will cause media to be FROZEN.
3 x I/O errors to the same drive in 12 hours will cause the drive to be DOWN'ed. (Some severe errors will DOWN a drive on the 1st error.) You need to troubleshoot this based on the errors you see in Job Details of the failed job.
There are many forum posts and Veritas KB articles on how to troubleshoot media and device errors. (Google is your friend.)

Each backup job is written to tape as 1 image that is in fact 1 tar file that holds the files and folders that were backed up.
You cannot manage individual files in the image.
You can duplicate a complete image using the Duplicate utility in the Admin Console (see Admin Guide I) or bpduplicate from CLI (see Command Reference Guide)

4. How to group tapes (Is it possible to group tapes and share them between policies? For example: 1 group (N tapes) only for archive, 1 group (N tapes) for duplications tasks (SLP))

This is called Volume Pools in NetBackup.
Read up in Admin Guide I and II.

5.  Is there any report system for backups consistency and avaliability(How to check backup consistency how to know how many files available on tape(tape drive usage)?

Client Backup Reports (in Admin Console) will report on successful, unexpired backup images for selected clients over the period that you specify. You can Verify backups (see Admin Guide I), but this only compare the tape contens with the NBU catalog. It does not compare with contents on the Client. I have learned to trust status 0 and have advised customers to perform regular restore tests.
NBU writes in the Catalogs where backup images are written - it knows the Media ID and posision on tape.
I have never in 22 years needed to know these details. NBU knows and I trust it.

6. Drive priority (is it possible to know priority between drives installed in robotic library? How often 1st or 2nd drive is using? Which one default or not?)

See 'How NetBackup selects drives' in NBU Admin Guide II