Did you mean: 

Some questions about Replication Director

ddm2
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi folk,

I have some questions about RD.

First topic:

I would make some replication tests with three policy types (CIFS, NFS and NDMP) but I have just one NetApp Replication Pool with an aggregate. In addition this is not a clean aggregate, but it contains some data with a lot of free space.

- Can I use a not empty aggregate to build my Replication Disk Pool?

- Can I point different policies to the same Replication Storage Unit associated with the Replication Disk Pool?

- If answer is yes, can I configure both SnapMirror and SnapVault replication task to use this Disk Pool?

Second topic:

I'm interested in NDMP policy because I don't like mounting NetApp data using CIFS or NFS. I would realize a cascade with a NDMP policy and a SLP that performs Snapshot, a backup from snapshot and a replication with SnapMirror or SnapVault to the the replication Disk Pool.

Can someone confirm it's a supported configuration?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Douglas_A
Level 6

Can I use a not empty aggregate to build my Replication Disk Pool? yes the aggr you point to does not have to be empty

- Can I point different policies to the same Replication Storage Unit associated with the Replication Disk Pool? yes you can

- If answer is yes, can I configure both SnapMirror and SnapVault replication task to use this Disk Pool? i belive you can.. this one im not sure about since i have never attempted to configure in that fashion. I dont see why not but it might be worth asking your local Symantec SE..

for your NDMP question yes the operation is fully supported.. Snapshot a Volume, replicate via Snapmirror, then backup via NDMP from either copy to tape/disk.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ddm2
Level 5

no answers?

Douglas_A
Level 6

Can I use a not empty aggregate to build my Replication Disk Pool? yes the aggr you point to does not have to be empty

- Can I point different policies to the same Replication Storage Unit associated with the Replication Disk Pool? yes you can

- If answer is yes, can I configure both SnapMirror and SnapVault replication task to use this Disk Pool? i belive you can.. this one im not sure about since i have never attempted to configure in that fashion. I dont see why not but it might be worth asking your local Symantec SE..

for your NDMP question yes the operation is fully supported.. Snapshot a Volume, replicate via Snapmirror, then backup via NDMP from either copy to tape/disk.

ddm2
Level 5

thank you doug