cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specify VSS Provider for VMware Backups

arctics2
Level 5

We have been having an issue where backups of VMware VM's will fail with a status 156.  After some troubleshooting, we came up with a workaround where we disable the VMware Snapshot Provider service (vmvss) thereby forcing the system to use Microsoft VSS. 

This works, however, as I understand the process, when Netbackup sends a request to vmware tools to quiesce the OS, it specifies that vmware tools should use whatever is configured as the default VSS provider.  By default, the default appears to be vmvss.  When vmvss is disabled, it fails over to vss. 

My question is, can Netbackup be configured to specify which VSS provider to use without installing the Netbackup VSS provider agent on every VM?  It appears as though other Backup vendors provide the ability to specify this (https://forums.veeam.com/post180042.html?hilit=vss%20provider#p180042)

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

If you disable the vmvss, vmware does not call the VSS inside the VM, it should be the same as doing a snapshot without checking the quiesce file system from vsphere.

In my opionion it is better to solve the issue with the VSS system that is causing the 156, as you then get a more consistent backup and better chance at a working machine after recovery.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

you cannot specify this - VM snapshotting is under control of VMware. The article you are pointing to seems to be related to some volume-level backups, not VM-level backups.

Michal

arctics2
Level 5

Thanks for the responses. 

Michael, are you saying that when we disable vmvss, then take a quiesced snapshot, it's not actually quescing anything and that this is the same as just taking a non-quiesced snapshot??

arctics2
Level 5

Further to both of your points, I agree that the underlying issue with vmvss needs to be resolved, however, before going back to the vmware team, I need proof that this is not a misconfiguration on the backup application side.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

In my experience these errors is most often caused by a problem with the VSS system inside the VM, so I would go to the OS administrator of the VM first.

Unfortunately not all VSS issues can be seen in the event logs, but a very common problem is a too small shadow area on some disks or/and failed VSS writers

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue