cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split NBU master and media servers

me-ver-91
Level 4

Hello experts,

I have 3 NBU physical master servers running on Solaris OS. Each of them also acting as media server connected to a Data Domain appliance and tape library. NBU version is 7.7.3.

I want to virtualize the master server and move the media server to a new hardware.

What is the best procedure to achieve the above? Also if there are any steps/documentation for this, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance and have a nice day!

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@me-ver-91 

Could you please give us a bit more info about your intended new environment? 

You mention 3 physical masters but seem to refer to 1 virtual master - do you want to merge the 3 masters into 1 virtual master and make the 3 physical servers into media servers?
Or still have 3 virtual masters each with a physical media server?

Answers will depend on having a clear understanding of your new environment... 

Hey Marianne,

I apologize for the confusion. The 3 existing physical master/media servers will become 3 virtual master servers and 3 physical (new hardware) media servers. So each new master connected to 1 new media.

Master-Media1 ==> Master1 connected to Media1.
Master-Media2 ==> Master2 connected to Media2.
Master-Media3 ==> Master3 connected to Media3.

Hope this helps. Thanks!

Marianne

Thanks for the explanation!

There are seperate sets of documentation for what you what to do:
Decommission a media server
Migrate master server to new hardware

So, decommissioning of media server won't work here, as that will remove all references to that server name.

My approach would be as follows -
Firstly add the new media servers to existing masters.
Go through all the basics to install plugin, add to Storage Server, move tape library and tape drives, add to NBU, config STUs. 
Move all policies and/or SLPs to new STUs.
Move all image and tape ownership to the media server:
bpimage -newserver <media_servername> -oldserver <master_servername>
Remove device and STU config for master server.

Once all backups and restores from previous backups have been tested, you can proceed migrating the master server to virtual master.
You do not need to stick with Solaris as Master server OS (in case you want to choose a supported Linux version).

You can use this TN for the migration : 

Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between UNIX or Linux master servers as part of a hardware refresh 
http://www.veritas.com/docs/000041077

I have personally used this method to migrate from a Solaris SPARC master to SUSE Linux. 
We created a basic disk STU on NFS mount, performed Catalog Backup to this STU. 
Wrote DR-file to the same location.
On new master, we mounted the NFS share to the same mountpoint and performed catalog recovery.

Hello Marianne, thank you so much for your help! And thank you for the detailed procedure!

Just one more thing, I found this article on how to add a new media server to an existing NBU domain: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/18716246-126559472-0/v12945346-126559472It says to "Also, add the new media server to the Additional Servers list of the clients that the new media server backs up". Just wondering if I have to manually add the new media server manually by going through every single client properties in NBU console or if there's a way/command to add the new media server to all clients as additional server?

Thanking you in advance and have a nice day!

Mike_Gavrilov

>Just wondering if I have to manually add the new media server manually by going through every single client properties in >NBU console or if there's a way/command to add the new media server to all clients as additional server?

You can use add_media_server_on_clients script https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/123533878-127136857-0/v123534254-127136857

or do it via GUI

Thank you Mike!