Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spliting a Netbackup Domain

blanco_adalbert
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Hello Everybody,

I would like to know if there is a posibility to split a production netbackup domain into two domains because of performance. We have a lot of servers distributed into two sites (local and remote) and I would like to split the netbackup enviroment into two domains.

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This is unfortunately not a DIY task.

Splitting environments normally involve identification of items to be split off, such as:
Media Servers
Clients
Client Images
Devices
Media
etc

See extract from this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31385  

Symantec has developed comprehensive methodologies to handle a variety of reconfiguration requirements including the following scenarios:

• Migration from an existing master server to a NetBackup appliance master server
  • Merging of two or more domains
  • Splitting of a domain into two or more domains
  • Clustering of a non-clustered Master Server
  • Renaming of a Master Server or Media Server
  • Moving a Master Server to a new machine involving a host name change
  • Moving a Master Server to a different platform/operating system (Windows to Linux/Unix or Linux/Unix to Windows)
  • Un-clustering a clustered Master Server

A number of Symantec consultants and Consulting Partners worldwide have been trained on these procedures and certified to deliver them in accordance with standards required by the Symantec technical support organization.

Symantec consultants and Consulting Partners will assist customers by determining the correct approach to take, planning the activity and executing the plan successfully with minimum disruption to the operational environment.

Please contact a NetBackup Sales Representative for assistance in engaging a certified Symantec consultant or Consulting Partner.  

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne

This is unfortunately not a DIY task.

Splitting environments normally involve identification of items to be split off, such as:
Media Servers
Clients
Client Images
Devices
Media
etc

See extract from this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31385  

Symantec has developed comprehensive methodologies to handle a variety of reconfiguration requirements including the following scenarios:

• Migration from an existing master server to a NetBackup appliance master server
  • Merging of two or more domains
  • Splitting of a domain into two or more domains
  • Clustering of a non-clustered Master Server
  • Renaming of a Master Server or Media Server
  • Moving a Master Server to a new machine involving a host name change
  • Moving a Master Server to a different platform/operating system (Windows to Linux/Unix or Linux/Unix to Windows)
  • Un-clustering a clustered Master Server

A number of Symantec consultants and Consulting Partners worldwide have been trained on these procedures and certified to deliver them in accordance with standards required by the Symantec technical support organization.

Symantec consultants and Consulting Partners will assist customers by determining the correct approach to take, planning the activity and executing the plan successfully with minimum disruption to the operational environment.

Please contact a NetBackup Sales Representative for assistance in engaging a certified Symantec consultant or Consulting Partner.  

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Marianne,

I disagree that it requires Symantec help in splitting the domains. That is until next week when I do it in my shop. We have laid out the necessary steps to do the split. It does involve a knowledge of all the elements involved.

We need to know all the aspects of the images like expiration dates and the like. I will agree that it is a very complex dance but it can be performed by a user without the help of Symantec. However, I will agree that it would go better if there was a Symantec consultant involved in the process.

Blanco,

There can be a whole technical manual written for this process and I am not sure that a single forum thread would be able to support it. You need to be aware of all the things Marianne mentioned as well as policies, SLP, image expiration (already mentioned). Without that and a few dozen other gotchas you will be a long time splitting.

Fortunately our environment is all disk based however, we will be spending a long time getting it split.

Mar

Marianne

Wolfsbane,

You are correct -  It does involve a knowledge of all the elements involved.  
I could do it before I received Catalog Manipulation training (based on many years of experience).

Any person with all necessary knowledge (like you) will not ask this kind of question on a user forum.

As you have rightfully pointed out -  a single forum thread would not be able to support it
Because there are too many variables, Symantec will not publish such a 
technical manual.

Without in-depth knowledge of all neccesary components, this is not a DIY job.
Any mistake made during such a split cannot be logged with Symantec Support.

Work done by a trained Partner Consultant is fully supported by Symantec Support.

blanco_adalbert
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Thank you Everybody,

How can I take the Catalog Manipulation training.

Best regards.

Marianne

Contact your local Symantec NetBackup SE.

StefanosM
Level 6

This training is available only to master specialized partners. And it is not always available.