cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sql backup with local system services

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

hello i am configuring Sql database backup in win2008 server. As per the tech notes, it says to start the netbackup services with domain logon account that have sysadmin rights in Sql and local admin rights. But i did not do this and my backups and restore is working fine with netbackup services in local system account. Could you please let me know what is the difference in both the procedures. With local sysyem account how the backups are happening and with which user account.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Ajith

Basically which ever method you choose the account must have SYSADMIN priviliges. 

NetBackup uses the NetBackup Client Service and the NetBackup Legacy Network Service to access the SQL Server when it performs backups and restores. To have the necessary permissions, the logon account NetBackup uses for these services must have the fixed server role "sysadmin." Both services must use the same logon account.

Choose a logon account for the NetBackup services as follows:

• For SQL Server 2008 and earlier, the sysadmin role is automatically applied to the NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM and BUILTIN\Administrators groups. You can use Local System for the logon accounts for the NetBackup services. 

• For SQL Server 2012, you must first apply the sysadmin role manually to the NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM or the BUILTIN\Administrators group. Then you can use Local System for the logon accounts for the NetBackup services.

• You can use another account as the logon account if it has the sysadmin role.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Ajith

Basically which ever method you choose the account must have SYSADMIN priviliges. 

NetBackup uses the NetBackup Client Service and the NetBackup Legacy Network Service to access the SQL Server when it performs backups and restores. To have the necessary permissions, the logon account NetBackup uses for these services must have the fixed server role "sysadmin." Both services must use the same logon account.

Choose a logon account for the NetBackup services as follows:

• For SQL Server 2008 and earlier, the sysadmin role is automatically applied to the NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM and BUILTIN\Administrators groups. You can use Local System for the logon accounts for the NetBackup services. 

• For SQL Server 2012, you must first apply the sysadmin role manually to the NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM or the BUILTIN\Administrators group. Then you can use Local System for the logon accounts for the NetBackup services.

• You can use another account as the logon account if it has the sysadmin role.