cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sql server EXIT STATUS 227: no entity was found

gigi81
Level 2

I have netbackup setup in my company to backup sql server databases on different instances.
I can use the dbbackup tool to create scripts to restore databases.
I would like to replicate the same functionality from the command line to script it out.
I tried to use the bplist tool to get the list of images for a particular client but, despite all the reading in this and other forums and all possible combination of command line paramters. the only thing I can get out of bplist is a:
EXIT STATUS 227: no entity was found
I'm really starting to think bplist is an hello world program with a different string in it.

Can someone please help. I'm just trying to have bplist output what I can see from the GUI when I use the "backup history options" tool. Litterally, what is the syntax to get the same identical result out of it? In the GUI I just specify sqlhost, master server and start/end dates. 

can someone please explain what I'm doing wrong here?

bplist -S master -t 15 -s 02/15/2019 -e 03/20/2019 -C sqlhost /
EXIT STATUS 227: no entity was found

many thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Lowell_Palecek
Level 6
Employee

Try -R for recursion.

The other thing you can do is run the dbbackup that works for you and check the bprd log on your master server for the options and file spec on the BPLIST request it receives. You would need to make sure the bprd folder exists and set the master server logging level to 3.

I managed to find the "expert" in my company.

Apparently I have to specify -R 999 and also the host name needed to be the fqdn, despite the fact that in the GUI I dind't have to).

After these two changes it started to work. I have to say the error message is completely useless.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I wrote a article about bplist and what qualifiers you need to get bplist to work. I hope you find it usefull

http://www.mass.dk/netbackup-quick-hints/bplist-a-handy-tool-for-the-netbackup-admin/

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@gigi81 

Extract from NBU for MS-SQL manual:
bplist -C client -t 15 -S server -R \

Update your example: 
bplist -S master -t 15 -s 02/15/2019 -e 03/20/2019 -C sqlhost -R \

Extremely important that 'sqlhost' matches the client name that is used in the backup policy.
This should be the same client name that is used in the backup script.

Status 227 simply means that 'for the criteria that you have supplied, no images can be found'.

Please bear in mind that sqlhost and sqlhost.fqdn are not the same, as different folders would be created for the 2 client names in 'images' folder on the master server if you had different policies with both names. 
The master server expects to find SQL images in the folder name that you specified as 'sqlhost' that matches the period.
So, if it cannot find a folder name that matches 'sqlhost' exactly, or if there are no SQL images in that folder that matches the period, you will receive 227 error.