cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Staduts 10. Allocation failed

Carlos_V
Level 6

Hello everyone

We need to backup a big FS on AIX 5.3, this FS has a size around 400GB. My question is What can i do to backup this files?

Please help me whit this issue.

Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Apologies Carlos - I totally missed your reply...

Have a look at this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76719

GENERAL ERROR : Status 10 on AIX client, the bpbkar process produces "bpbkar read_and_sort_dir_entries: FTL - dir_list_rec malloc failed. Errno = 12:" messages in the log when backing up a file system that contains too many small files

CAUSE:

Root cause of this issue was caused by lack of program data memory on AIX system. In AIX, 32-bit applications may access one segment(256MB) of program data memory by default.

SOLUTION:

Increased the amount of the memory to 2 gig using the command below and the filesystem backup in the production enviernment completed successfully without any memory issue.

#  ldedit -b maxdata:0x80000000 /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpbkar

Note: The command above should be executed when no bpbkar process runs on the system otherwise it won't be changed to 2GB.

********************************************************************************************************************************

You seem to be using Client Compression in your policy?
As a start, turn it off, as this features increases memory usage on the client.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

You just be able to do just a normal backup on it.

So are you having issues?  is it a jfs or jfs2 files system or something else?

(also give us your os type of master server, and what version of netbackup you are using)

Carlos_V
Level 6

Yes I have issues, I can't backup those files . We use jfs2. The os type of master server is AIX 5.3 and the version of NB is 6.5.6.

Regards

Marianne

JFS and JFS2 filesystems are supported, but not Extended Attributes or Named Data Streams.

Could you please post bpbkar log for this client as well as policy output (bppllist <policy-name> -U).

Also post contents of Activity Monitor Details tab (just to give us a bit more info).

Please post bpbkar log as attachment.

Carlos_V
Level 6

Ok, I attached the required information.

Regards

Marianne

Apologies Carlos - I totally missed your reply...

Have a look at this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76719

GENERAL ERROR : Status 10 on AIX client, the bpbkar process produces "bpbkar read_and_sort_dir_entries: FTL - dir_list_rec malloc failed. Errno = 12:" messages in the log when backing up a file system that contains too many small files

CAUSE:

Root cause of this issue was caused by lack of program data memory on AIX system. In AIX, 32-bit applications may access one segment(256MB) of program data memory by default.

SOLUTION:

Increased the amount of the memory to 2 gig using the command below and the filesystem backup in the production enviernment completed successfully without any memory issue.

#  ldedit -b maxdata:0x80000000 /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpbkar

Note: The command above should be executed when no bpbkar process runs on the system otherwise it won't be changed to 2GB.

********************************************************************************************************************************

You seem to be using Client Compression in your policy?
As a start, turn it off, as this features increases memory usage on the client.

Carlos_V
Level 6

Hi Marinne, don´t worry.

When we make the change I´ll comment you. Thank you very much.

Take care.