cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status 48 every day

Will_Restore
Level 6

Something is contaminating my Master Server host cache.  All but one client backup fails with Status 48. 

Ran this test:

bptestbpcd -client xxxx

Function ConnectToBPCD (xxxx) failed: 48

client hostname could not be found

so I do this:

bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache

then it works as it should:

bptestbpcd -client xxxx

<ip>.<port> -> <ip>.<port>

 

But a few hours later it fails again.  DNS entries verified, no problem there.

I can still ssh to the clients by name, ping them, even telnet on port 1556, but bpcd fails until the host cache is cleared again.

 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Moderator
Moderator
Partner    VIP   

My two suggestions:

Could be a permission issues on /etc/resolv.conf (pls check)

Try stopping nscd (name service cache daemon) if running, it has been bugging me before.

 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

RamNagalla
Moderator
Moderator
Partner    VIP    Certified

by any chance...does your master server has entires in /etc/hosts file with different IP for the client along with the DNS...?

RamNagalla
Moderator
Moderator
Partner    VIP    Certified

also..

when it is not working..

what is the output of below commands from mater server

bpclntcmd -ip <client IP>

bpcltncmd -hn <clientname>

Will_Restore
Level 6

no conflicts there

 

Will_Restore
Level 6

I want to say we got correct response, but I'll have to test that later to confirm.

Nicolai
Moderator
Moderator
Partner    VIP   

My two suggestions:

Could be a permission issues on /etc/resolv.conf (pls check)

Try stopping nscd (name service cache daemon) if running, it has been bugging me before.

 

View solution in original post

sdo
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Certified
Whenever I need to test/confirm forward and reverse lookup, I always do two forward nslookup, then two reverse nslookup, then two bpclntcmd -hn, then two bpclntcmd -ip for each of client, media and master - so that's 24 commands on master, 24 on media, and 24 on client - that's 72 commands in total (or script it ;) which usually reveals any issues with either or both of a) multiple DNS entries, e.g. looping differences with each call. and/or b) differences between plain lookups and the NetBackup name cache. Does the output from this (on master and media) look ok: bptestnetconn -v -a -s ...which performs a kind of name resolution speed test of the 'server' and 'media_server' bp.conf entries. FYI - I've seen situations where, from a client, these can fail, as each test is more progressive: bpclntcmd -sv (query the master for it's major version) bpclntcmd -pn (query the master to tell me who the master thinks I am - i.e. from the IP address that I connect with, ask the master to report back to me what it thinks my client name is?) ...i.e. I've seen times when the -sv call works - but the -pn does not. Like wise, on a master(/media) these are more progressive: bpgetconfig -g client-name bpgetconfig -M client-name | grep -i "server" bptestbpcd -verbose -client client-name ...I mean it is possible to reach a client and do a get of it's version, then do a fetch of it's bp.conf entries - but the bpcd full handshake test fails. HTH.

Will_Restore
Level 6

thanks, will try that

Will_Restore
Level 6

Already cleared the host_cache before seeing your post.  Seems like everything except bptestbpcd works, though I did not try bptestnetconn recently.  blpclntcmd -hn and -ip forward and back was fine. 

Ankit_Maheshwar
Level 5

you should try with client uninstall and install, check is there any IP duplication for the same client in your enviornment..

 

Will_Restore
Level 6

Looks like restarting nscd on the Master took care of it. No errors last night.

 

Nicolai
Moderator
Moderator
Partner    VIP   

Consider to disable that beast completely.