cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status 57 Client connection refused

Wong_Chee_Pun
Level 3
hi all,

I configured NB 5.1MP4 to backup my new server running on W2K3 (To be safe, i copied from one of the working policy and only changed on the client name). Beside this i already have 2 server running NB on same OS. Later the backup failed with the above error message.

i checked again at the administrative console -> Hosts properties -> Client and found out that the status is not connected.

I have added the DNS inside my unix /etc/hosts. What else is missing? plse help
10 REPLIES 10

Wong_Chee_Pun
Level 3
p/s: I also managed to ping to that server. everything seems ok

h_m
Level 6
have you tried the bpclntcmd command on both the master and client?

Holger_Luebbers
Level 4
Hi !

Client connection refused is normally the statuscode, if the client service is not started !

Check the services and start the Netbackup Client service, or restart the service on the client.

Greets
Holger

Mathews
Level 4
Check the bpcd port number on the server should match to the client service file...

Wong_Chee_Pun
Level 3
> have you tried the bpclntcmd command on both the
> master and client?

both return positive results.Message was edited by:
Wong Chee Pun

Wong_Chee_Pun
Level 3
> Hi !
>
> Client connection refused is normally the statuscode,
> if the client service is not started !
>
> Check the services and start the Netbackup Client
> service, or restart the service on the client.
>
> Greets
> Holger

Hi,

But i have other servers (same platform OS), which are doing fine all this while. So is there any chance the Netbackup Client service for this OS is not started?

Wong_Chee_Pun
Level 3
> Check the bpcd port number on the server should match
> to the client service file...

Sorry but where to check that?

Peter_Bevington
Level 3
Just a couple of things to look at and try...

Note bpcd(13782) is the port that any media server uses when backup, restore or some other activities are requested by master server.

The logs that are useful to troubleshoot are bprd and bpsched logs on master server. Also bpcd from the media server useful to check from the media server side. If bpcd on media server is fine, then next process is bpbrm from the media server and you can see bpbrm logs for any backup/restore failure.If there are some tape device issue, bptm on media server is useful. If there are some connection failure on a paticular client machine from media server, then bpcd from that client machine is also to be checked.

If you use the hostname only (not FQDN) during either installation or other configuration afterwards, then you have to use the hostname only. Even though OS resolves hostname to FQDN or FQDN to hostname by DNS, and you don't see any network issue, basically NBU confuses about two names. Further more, when you back up a client machine with FQDN from a policy(backup selection) and later you want to restore data by hostname(not FQDN), then it will fail.

Check the name resolution between the Master & each Media server. The bpclntcmd function can be found in d:\veritas\netbackup\bin (see http://support.veritas.com/docs/261393)
Run these commands from both the media and master servers in both directions

Wong_Chee_Pun
Level 3
> Just a couple of things to look at and try...
>
> Note bpcd(13782) is the port that any media server
> uses when backup, restore or some other activities
> are requested by master server.
>
> The logs that are useful to troubleshoot are bprd and
> bpsched logs on master server. Also bpcd from the
> media server useful to check from the media server
> side. If bpcd on media server is fine, then next
> process is bpbrm from the media server and you can
> see bpbrm logs for any backup/restore failure.If
> there are some tape device issue, bptm on media
> server is useful. If there are some connection
> failure on a paticular client machine from media
> server, then bpcd from that client machine is also to
> be checked.
Why all the log files that you mentioned is not readable? I was looking at the path /netbackup/bin.

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Hi Wong,

The log files are usually under /usr/openv/netbackup/logs.

Have you verify on the client server whether the netbackup service is running? (usually this is the cause for status 57). If yes, try stop and start using administrator account.

Is it's still not working, is this client in the same network segment? Or behind any firewall?