cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status 90 Errors for full backups on shared folders

WayneLackey
Level 5

I have a couple of servers that are getting status 90 errors when attempting full backups. This backup spawns new threads for each backup selection, and the error only occurs on one of the backup selections, which is a shared folder. The incremental backups for this folder exits with status 0, but no files are backed up (presumably because nothing changed); the fulls fail consistently for this folder with status 90, though, while the other folders in the backup selection back up successfully with status 0. Any ideas?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Seems Exclude List is indeed in place for this client:

12:14:25.330 PM: [9228.3372] <4> tar_backup_tfi::UpdateExcludeListWithVHD: INF - UpdateExludeListWithVHD begin
12:14:25.439 PM: [9228.3372] <2> tar_base::V_vTarMsgW INF
- Excluded: C:\NSM 

Please double-check Exclude List in Host Properties for this client.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Marianne
Level 6

Do you have Exclude Lists in place for the shared folders?

If so, add * to the drive letter that needs to be excluded.

E.g. to exclude shared drive X:\, specify Exclude List as follows:

X:\*

WayneLackey
Level 5

Thanks for taking the time to reply. No, I don't want to exclude those folders, I want them to get backed up. Is that what you are asking, or am I misunderstanding you?

Marianne
Level 6

My question was actually if there were Exclude Lists in place....

'Shared Data' says to me that you are backing up a cluster, right?

Cluster backups are normally done as follows:

1 backup policy for physical node names to backup local drives (excluding shared data).

1 backup policy to backup shared data using the virtual hostname. Policy type and Backup selection will depend on type of cluster (MS-Windows and shared drives for File Server, MS-SQL for SQL cluster with backup script that exists on both nodes or on shared drive).

WayneLackey
Level 5

Ok, sorry for the misunderstanding. I don't believe exclusion lists are in place, and I when I said shared, I just meant the folder was shared out as a Windows file share, not part of a cluster or anything like that, sorry I wasn't clear.

nesel
Level 4

Try to isolate the problem.

> create a separate policy for the failing folder (as what you have mention). Try to check what type of files are in this directories (flat, database, notes, etc), then this will drive to selecting the appropriate policy type for your backup policy.

Hope this will help.

Thanks,

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Could you paste the details of the job, or if you have it the relevant bpbkar log from the client (or create the bpbkar log folder and re-run the backup so that we can see the log).

From what you have said it sounds like there may be a conflict here ... maybe a soecific path in the policy which is excluded for the full schedule ...

We need a bit more information to help out

Thanks

WayneLackey
Level 5

@Mark: Most recent full backup failure job details follow:

3/25/2012 2:17:47 AM - requesting resource escsrde47-hcart-robot-tld-0
3/25/2012 2:17:47 AM - requesting resource escsrde47.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.sisapp08
3/25/2012 2:17:47 AM - requesting resource escsrde47.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.SISAPP08
3/25/2012 2:17:47 AM - granted resource escsrde47.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.sisapp08
3/25/2012 2:17:47 AM - granted resource escsrde47.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.SISAPP08
3/25/2012 2:17:47 AM - granted resource 0414L4
3/25/2012 2:17:47 AM - granted resource IBM.ULT3580-HH4.004
3/25/2012 2:17:47 AM - granted resource escsrde47-hcart-robot-tld-0
3/25/2012 2:17:48 AM - estimated 0 Kbytes needed
3/25/2012 2:19:23 AM - connecting
3/25/2012 2:19:38 AM - connected; connect time: 00:00:15
3/25/2012 2:19:38 AM - begin writing
3/25/2012 2:19:48 AM - end writing; write time: 00:00:10
media manager received no data for backup image(90)

It attempts this four times within the job before it finally gives up. I don't have access to this client directly, but I can pursue getting the bpbkar folder created if it doesn't already exist.

Thanks,

Wayne

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

What does the policy specify to back up?

Could we see:

bppllist policyname -U

We really could do with the bpbkar log as well

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What VERSION of NetBackup, please?

WayneLackey
Level 5

@CRZ - NBU 7.0 running on Win2003 R2

@Mark - see attached for job details and bpbkar log info. I cloned the existing policy and removed all but the failing backup selection (in this case, a folder called C:\NSM), then ran a manual full backup (exiting with status 90 again, so at least it was consistent smiley ). I can work on getting the bppllist info.

Thanks,

Wayne

Marianne
Level 6

Seems Exclude List is indeed in place for this client:

12:14:25.330 PM: [9228.3372] <4> tar_backup_tfi::UpdateExcludeListWithVHD: INF - UpdateExludeListWithVHD begin
12:14:25.439 PM: [9228.3372] <2> tar_base::V_vTarMsgW INF
- Excluded: C:\NSM 

Please double-check Exclude List in Host Properties for this client.

WayneLackey
Level 5

Good catch, didn't see that when I scanned through the log initially. Will definitely check that out...! Thanks!

WayneLackey
Level 5

That folder was indeed in the exclusion list on the client, and as soon as I removed it, I was able to get a clean full backup. Definitely going to check there first next time something like this comes up...!

Thanks, Marianne, and everyone else who participated in this thread. I'm (obviously) new to these forums, but it seems like they are a great resource for troubleshooting, good stuff!

Wayne

Will_Restore
Level 6

good catch indeed

Marianne
Level 6

Scary thing is that I somehow knew... or was it just gut-feel? indecision