Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status Code 96

-The_GodFather-
Level 4
Partner
Hi,

I'm getting this status "unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available(96)" recently we added 21 new tapes to our autoloader and erase those tapes so that they can be used for backup (of course I do an inventory first before erasing them). As the troubleshooting guide stated that they should be change to another pool which is "Scratch Pool" we placed all those 21 tapes on that pool and then run the backup again (those tapes are now on the netbackup pool) and still status code 96 so I checked again the tapes and they are in freeze status, so I unfreeze them and then they we're automatically placed on the "scratch pool". So again I run another backup to see if it's still fails and again status code 96.

FYI:

While erasing those media we got error code 93 and 98. (could this be the main problem?)

Please provide some useful troubleshooting steps for this.

thank you
4 REPLIES 4

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
You said you unfroze the medias, why they where froze? look for the drive that is doing all this and just bring it down and later repair the device, also you scratch pool can be named scratch but must have the checkmark that confirms the pool has the scratch pool, but Im thinking more in a bad drive frozing all your medias.

hope this helps.
regards

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
find out why it froze the tape.

You said you erased the tapes but got errors when doing that.

so that makes me want to ask the question - were the tapes really NEW or were they tapes used by something else and then you put them in the library.

When you do the erase there is a check box to verify the media label before you do the erase
if so it could be the data on the tapes.

93 error code.
"When you load a volume for a backup or restore, the tape manager (bptm) found a volume that loaded without the expected tape header. This error may mean that volumes in a robot are not in the slots that are indicated in the Media and Device Management volume configuration."

So this makes me think that some other software wrote to the tape and put some kind of header on the tape you NetBackup does not see as being his own.  So he would NOT erase the tape.

If you UNCHECK the verify header on the tape when you erase it - I think it might work.
And once that is done NetBackup would put its own header on the tape and would use it for backups.

See if that works for you.

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Try to see if there is tapes  in the pool.
see if there is some tape full frozen and stuf

Anonymous
Not applicable
Check the media/master server where you are having the status 93/96

and the contents of these files based on OS, this will tell you something about tape /alert media issues
UNIX
usr/openv/netbackup/db/media/errors
WINDOWS
%PROGRAMFILES%\Veritas\Netbackup\db\media\errors