cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status and Future of /usr/openv/netbackup/db/altnames/host.xlate file

onepranav
Level 4

I wanted to check some insights on the Status and Future of /usr/openv/netbackup/db/altnames/host.xlate file
We have been using this file for quite a while now to quicken name resolutions since our environment has more than 5000 clients and 10,000+ policies. 
It was particularly useful in case of MSSQL backups and it was noticed that the absence of this file forced MSSQL backups to basically go through every policy to find the right combination when initiating backups and resulting in many timeout errors with status 54.

I wanted to check if the file still remains relevant with 8.1.2 and future versions or is there an alternate approach reccomended for legacy file users?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi Onepranav,

Have you recently done an upgrade to 8.1.2 and the file is missing?

I've had a bit of a look for you, and the host.xlate file is still referenced in the 8.1.2 documentation.  In particular the 8.1.2 Troubleshooting Guide (https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/15179611-131084725-1).  See page 65.

I'd say as it's included in the doco it is still relevant and supported.  Regarding the future of the file, you'd be best raising a case with support to see if they can tell you anything about future plans for it.

Does the file no longer exist, or has yours been overwritten?  Best guess would be that the upgrade has clobbered it.

Hope this helps,

Steve

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi Onepranav,

Have you recently done an upgrade to 8.1.2 and the file is missing?

I've had a bit of a look for you, and the host.xlate file is still referenced in the 8.1.2 documentation.  In particular the 8.1.2 Troubleshooting Guide (https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/15179611-131084725-1).  See page 65.

I'd say as it's included in the doco it is still relevant and supported.  Regarding the future of the file, you'd be best raising a case with support to see if they can tell you anything about future plans for it.

Does the file no longer exist, or has yours been overwritten?  Best guess would be that the upgrade has clobbered it.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Thank you for the reply.
We did recreate the file and it helped getting things back to normal.
I appreciate your time for taking a look at this.

Rami5
Level 4
Hi

Can you tell me how to open
/usr/openv
??

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

1) start a new ssh or telnet or terminal session to the Master Server.

2) logon

3) switch to root ( either: su - , or maybe: sudo su - )

4) cd /usr/openv

Thanks sdo

I got it and i went to elvate mode

Regards