cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status code 12 after using a image ALTPATH for policy.

Learning_Everyd
Level 5

Master = WIN2003 Enterprise w/SP2, NBU 6.5.6

Client = WIN2003, NBU 6.5.6

We were running out of room on the Master's main drive.  I moved the largest image folder to a share to free up space.  ALTPATH was put in place for policy.  First run since then we are getting the 12 error code.

The share/mapping is being used by other policies and I don't think it's a space issue on the client.  Any suggestions? 

12/15/2011 8:41:20 AM - requesting resource Development
12/15/2011 8:41:20 AM - requesting resource ma-atl06.us.manh.com.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.vkorinar
12/15/2011 8:41:20 AM - requesting resource ma-atl06.us.manh.com.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.VM-Korinar
12/15/2011 8:41:20 AM - granted resource ma-atl06.us.manh.com.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.vkorinar
12/15/2011 8:41:20 AM - granted resource ma-atl06.us.manh.com.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.VM-Korinar
12/15/2011 8:41:20 AM - granted resource LT4072
12/15/2011 8:41:20 AM - granted resource HP.ULTRIUM4-SCSI.001
12/15/2011 8:41:20 AM - granted resource ma-atl103-hcart
file open failed(12)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

PLEASE do not store images and backups on the same location!

You are asking 'uncle Murphy' to pay you a visit. Disk Storage units need to be dedicated to backups ONLY.

As per my previous post, NBU catalogs on network share is NOT supported (basic storage unit is supported on network share).

See the following under the topic 'Moving the image catalog' in Admin Guide 1:

" Note: NetBackup does not support saving the catalog to a remote file system. Therefore, Symantec advises against moving the image catalog to a remote file system such as NFS or CIFS."

Also bear in mind that if drive 'O' is a network map, it only exists while user is logged on. When the backup runs in the middle of the night, no user is logged on with network drive O mounted.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne

Please give more information about what exactly was done?

I am not aware that ALTPATH can be done for a policy, only for client images (as described in NBU 6.5 Admin Guide I for Windows  under the heading 'Moving the image catalog').

Please share the contents of the ALTPATH file and its location?

You are also mentioning the following:

'The share/mapping is being used by other policies'.

How is the share used by the policies? Have you moved policies (netbackup\db\class folder) or images (netbackup\db\images\client) to a network share?

If you have moved images to a network share - this is not supported.

Learning_Everyd
Level 5

Correct ALTPATH for the client images.  The file reads as: "O:\Netbackup\alternate_db\images\vkorinar.earth.com".  No spaces and or additional characters are present. 

I can make a UNC using this exact path and it opens.  Note - this is the only ALTPATH being used for a client.  I've tried to send it to another share, same result.  

The share\mapping is being used as a storage unit for policies writting to disc.  So at the root there are .img and .info files.  I didn't think this was a issue since the ALTPATH is redirecting it to sub directory.

The image files for the client were moved to the same share as a recommendation by Symantec to recover from a status code 93.   

Marianne

PLEASE do not store images and backups on the same location!

You are asking 'uncle Murphy' to pay you a visit. Disk Storage units need to be dedicated to backups ONLY.

As per my previous post, NBU catalogs on network share is NOT supported (basic storage unit is supported on network share).

See the following under the topic 'Moving the image catalog' in Admin Guide 1:

" Note: NetBackup does not support saving the catalog to a remote file system. Therefore, Symantec advises against moving the image catalog to a remote file system such as NFS or CIFS."

Also bear in mind that if drive 'O' is a network map, it only exists while user is logged on. When the backup runs in the middle of the night, no user is logged on with network drive O mounted.

Will_Restore
Level 6

buy another local drive for your server and put NetBackup images there

Learning_Everyd
Level 5

Thanks for all the feedback.  It is understood.  The answer to my original question I think is resolved.  A ALTPATH can only be on a local/attached drive.  The O: is a share that is not local to the machine. 

Marianne

That is what I said in this post, right? https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/status-code-12-after-using-image-altpath-policy#comment-6459571