cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status code 28 (failed trying to fork a process) NBU 6.5.1 on HP-UX 11.31

bak
Level 4
We are getting status code 28 intermittently on our backup jobs.  This error also occurs when running utility commands such as bperror.  Netbackup version 6.5.1; HP-UX 11.31 (11i v3).  I have verified that our kernel parameters are within the range that Veritas recommends.  The server is not running low on memory, or on any of the values reported by Glance & Sar.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

bak
Level 4
HP & Symantec have recommended installing a patch for this condition: PHKL_37455 - process management cumulative.  We have installed this patch and are currently testing.  I should know soon whether this fixes our problem.  Per Symantec this problem does not occur on 11.11, or 11.23 which explains why there are not more customers reporting this problem.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I don't work on hp.
but I do work on unix.

and this sounds like a unix issue.

root would be running net backup.

have you checked your root user config to see if it has unlimited number of processes.

on IBM by default it is set to a number ( and running netbackup would hit its limit and not be able to fork another process )  so by default on most servers we set root to -1 so it can fork as many has it wants.

again this sounds like an unix issue that admin's run into all the time.

bak
Level 4
I have verified kernel parameters are setup properly using the NetBackup Performance Tuning Guide & also monitored these values through Glance & Sar.

I have opened cases with both HP & Symantec.  Their support reps are stumped so I thought I would post something here and see if someone else is having the same problem.

The closest reference to a similar problem that I have found was in this older thread on these forums:

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6

Explanation: A fork of a child process failed (on UNIX) or a CreateProcess failed (on Windows).
This failure may be due to the following:
- An overloaded system
- Insufficient swap space or physical memory
- Too many processes are running on the system
- Corrupt or missing binaries

Recommended action: Check the NetBackup All Log Entries report for clues on where and why the failure occurred. For detailed troubleshooting information, create debug log directories for the processes that think may have returned this status code. Then, retry the operation and check the resulting debug logs.

bak
Level 4
Thanks for the response.  I have ruled out all of these possible problems (except for corrupt binaries) through monitoring with Sar & Glance.  System resources are hardly being utilized.  Memory is only about 50% utilized, swap space is barely being used.

bak
Level 4
No one else is experiencing this problem?  Is anyone running NBU 6.5.1 on HP-UX 11.31?

razgadka
Level 2
I don't have a solution but I am having the same trouble.  HP-UX 11.31 (Sept)  rx4640  and Veritas 6.5.1...

bak
Level 4
Its good to know I am not the only one with this problem.  I suspect that this is specific to NetBackup on 11iv3; I think if it were a problem on 11iv2 as well, alot more people would be impacted.  Do you have a case open with Symantec?  I have had one open for some time, but so far they have not been able to find the cause.  If we get any solution I will post it here.

razgadka
Level 2
a required patch for 6.5 on HP-UX 11.31 (september) is PHKL_37452.  We are just now applying this patch...
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1220174

bak
Level 4
We installed PHKL_37452 as well, but it hasn't helped any.  Hopefully you have better results.  One of my colleagues has noticed that the problem seems to occur when Vault jobs are running.  Are you running Vault?

DeeM
Level 3
Does anyone know the status for support on HP-UX 11i v3 (11.31) for Backup Exec 11d - Unix remote agent?  It looks like it is not supported.  It is supported in previous HP-UX versions.  Any ideas?  Greatly appreciate any feedback and resolution.  Thanks!

Dee

bak
Level 4
Please start a new thread with your question which is unrelated to NetBackup failing to fork processes.

bak
Level 4
HP & Symantec have recommended installing a patch for this condition: PHKL_37455 - process management cumulative.  We have installed this patch and are currently testing.  I should know soon whether this fixes our problem.  Per Symantec this problem does not occur on 11.11, or 11.23 which explains why there are not more customers reporting this problem.

bak
Level 4
This problem has been resolved by installing the HP-UX patch PHKL_37455.