cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps to follow when upgrading Master Server Operating System

SIE_PaulDK
Level 3

Good Day,

I have to do a Server OS Upgrade on my NetBackup 7.5.0.6 Master Server.

Current OS = MS Server 2003 R2 32 Bit. (8GB Memory)

Upgrade to = MS Server 2008 R2 Standard, Sp1 64Bit.

My Backups currently writes to Data Domain via OST Plugin.

Please advise the proper steps (Backups / Installation process) I need to take to make sure my Server OS Upgrade / NetBackup Installation runs successfully.

Thank you in advance.

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The assumption is that the server that the master is installed is also 32-bit hardware, right?

Best is to prepare a new 64-bit server with W2008 R2 installed.

Install OS using the same hostname, then install NBU 7.5 followed by 7.5.0.6 to same installation path as original server.

Obtain and install 64-bit OST plugin. 

Zone/Configure backup devices on new server and copy DR-file from last hot catalog backup.

Recover NBU catalogs.

See this TN for steps:

Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between Windows master servers as part of a hardware refresh
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77447

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne

The assumption is that the server that the master is installed is also 32-bit hardware, right?

Best is to prepare a new 64-bit server with W2008 R2 installed.

Install OS using the same hostname, then install NBU 7.5 followed by 7.5.0.6 to same installation path as original server.

Obtain and install 64-bit OST plugin. 

Zone/Configure backup devices on new server and copy DR-file from last hot catalog backup.

Recover NBU catalogs.

See this TN for steps:

Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between Windows master servers as part of a hardware refresh
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77447

SIE_PaulDK
Level 3

Hi Marianne,

I will do the installation onto the same hardware platform, yes. Thus same hardware (64bit Compatible) as was previously used. I do have some downtime available for the OS upgrade.

Same Host Name and Network configurations will be used.

OST Plugin are compatible with the 64-bit platform.

I have already upgraded all my Media Servers in a similar way and that went fairly smooth.

I will run a local disk (hot) catalog backup before I commence with the installation. This should make the DR Catalog recovery faster than restoring from Data Domain.

Thank you for your guidance.

SIE_PaulDK
Level 3

Hi Marianne,

Just one more question - what will the impact be on the NetBackup Environment if we were to change our AD domain / forest name?

We have got plans as such in the near future and I need to plan ahead...

Regards

Paul

Marianne

It all depends on how NBU was installed on the master - using shortname or FQDN?

nbemmcmd -listhosts will tell you.

If shortname, got ahead. No issue. The FQDN field in EMM settings for the master will automatically be updated.

If FQDN - sorry. You need assistance from a Symantec Consulting Partner.

For this exact reason (other than the fact that I'm lazy...) I always install using shortname and add aliases for FQDN. 
We see requests here on Connect at least once a week about changing domains.

SIE_PaulDK
Level 3

Luckily we are using shortnames (Master and Media Servers) and some has got "ip" addresses.

Are there any support documentation for this? Else, I'll make sure to log a call with Symantec Support when we get there...

Thank you!

Marianne

I have not seen any documentation.

It should be easy enough to simulate a domain name change in an isolated vmware lab environment.